Build over and full building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a little unclear on the build-over requirement for a rear extension.

The houses in my neighbourhood are served by a soil pipe (about 150mm in diameter) running across the rear patios with manholes on the alleyway in between the properties. About every 6 or so properties the soil pipe runs out the alleyway and connects to the main sewer on the street. In my case the house is 3rd before the the exiting connection.

The sewer runs across the road and served by Thames Water. The soil stack is not shown on my sewer plans but I presume it falls under TW.

It is my understanding that a build-over agreement is required with TW and subsequently it means we need Full Building Regs application based on the planning portal and LABC website?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
is this new then. I did a build-over on a building notice about 2 years ago.

Thanks woody!

The pipe depth is relatively shallow, around 400mm in the ground just over 600mm under the level of what will become internal floor. Can this pose any issue or generate additional costs on my end as a result of the build-over requirement?

Sponsored Links
Last year we just had to send Thames water 299 pounds and the drawings, they just approved on the spot. That was before any building regs drawings had been submitted.

That's the usual process and then BC approve the works.
To the OP apart from the build-over fee, the additional costs are almost negligible

About every 6 or so properties the soil pipe runs out the alleyway and connects to the main sewer on the street. In my case the house is 3rd before the the exiting connection.

Have you lifted a cover to confirm there are definitely houses upstream of you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back