Building over two sewers. The 6m rule

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone.

There are two public sewers running across my garden where I plan to build a single story extension. According to all of Anglian waters rules on their website, I cant see any reason why my application to build over the sewers may be rejected, assuming I protect the sewers with a lintel, except for the following rule:

"Length of sewer under a building must not exceed 6 metres."

I would have 2x 6m of sewers under my proposed extension and a lady at Anglian water says "this may be considered as 12m of sewer, dependent on distance between sewers.

Before I bust up my patio to measure the distance between the sewers, Have any of you had experience of this issue before or can suggest a way around this problem?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That does seem a bit random i guess it was a guess, might be worth seeing if you can send a rough sketch to the technical dept and see what they reckon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back