Building overhand, health and safety question....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When building overhand (2 storey extension) to avoid incursion into next door's property, builder now wants to tape off an area on other side of wall which isn't going down too well with neighbours, is there anything else we can do or hire etc to safeguard people on the neighbours property i.e. netting, panel walling etc etc but without anything going onto their property?

I think I can guess the answer is no but I just wanted to check.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
does the neighbour mind having stuff overhanging in the airspace or is it just on the ground?

Well it's on the ground that we've really got a problem, as long as everyone their side is safe I think they and the builder will be happy.....

how about a scaffold with a fan coming out at first floor level and netting?

Sponsored Links
Building overhand, is building from the inside skin, and not on the face side of the exterior skin, Everything should be fine, all that should be needed to do is having permission from the neighbour to go and clean snobs of compo dropped during the working day. A sheet or similar laid down is best

Building overhand, is building from the inside skin, and not on the face side of the exterior skin, Everything should be fine, all that should be needed to do is having permission from the neighbour to go and clean snobs of compo dropped during the working day. A sheet or similar laid down is best
Thanks Tawelfryn, I think the builder is concerned about the possibility of the wall blowing down if we get a strong gale or storm. He'd like the area on the neighbour's side blocked off, to make it double safe. He says if we were using scaffold it would brace the wall and also if any bricks were to come down they would fall onto the scaffold.
how about a scaffold with a fan coming out at first floor level and netting?
Thanks Thermo. wouldn't that need legs coming down onto the neighbour's property though? We are going to have to have scaffold at the front and back of the house but each only about 3m long, so could we span some down the side without putting legs down on their drive? The length of the new gable wall will be about 9m.

If such a scaffold is possible would it then be necessary to block off the area around the scaffold or can people walk/work/play around it safely?

Many thanks again guys.

Hmm......we really have reached an impasse today, just wondered whether anyone had any more ideas?

Is it possible with scaffold to erect a vertical wall of scaffold poles and ply sheets which would be strong enough to deflect anything which falls onto my property? I have about 2 foot between outside skin of outer leaf of new brickwork and the boundary with next door. Obviously it would need to be held securely with scaffold going down the front and rear of the house.

I think the builder is more concerned about the pike at the top of the new gable wall than anything else, it not being braced until the roof is on and with the possibility of some stormy weather coming in.

Again, many thanks for your suggestions.

just get it built and if it blows down it blows down
it does happen but not very often think i've had 3 or 4 blow downs in 22 years

If its a cavity wall, it will stay there, plus doing it overhand, you cant build the internal blockwork too high because you cant reach to lay the external brickwork, so its being built strong with ties as you go up

Many thanks for the reassurances, I am sure you're both right and the wall won't come down but we can't risk it, even though it's such a small possibility. The builder isn't prepared to risk it anyway.

Just looking for a way to get around this with scafffold or something.

we did do one across an entrance to s upermarket loading bay in constant use where the scaffold couldnt block the bay. we removed some bricks at intervals along the length of the wall and the scaffold poles were placed through the holes in the wall too support the fan.

Now there's a thought Thermo, much appreciated. We do have a wall we could possibly do that with, I think I'll mention it to the builder when I see him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back