Building regs and cellar.

21 Nov 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have a large cellar in a back to back Victorian terraced house.

It is platerboarded out and used as an additional room. It has a door yo the outside. It is not samp.

I have posted on the the building forum to see of there oS any cost effective way to get it to meet regs with regard to waterproofing and thermal, but I suspect there isn't.

I would like to make the existing door / window a bit bigger. My question is if I apply to building control what could happen?

Could they refuse to allow me a larger french door because it is not supposed to be a habitable room?

also if they do take action what could happen? I cpuld taken the sofa out but I can't really undo the ork as it is part of the house. The cellar needs a ceiling and lights anyway.

Is It the same as a loft where you can be banned from using it?

Should I just forget the door and leave as is. It was done before I bought the house and I would imagine if I sold it it would just be an rather neat cellar. Nothing more.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
They can't stop you using the room for your own (domestic) purposes. If you want to widen the door, that would be a structural alteration and building regs apply eg they would want to see what lintel you put in - but beyond that legally they can't make you do anything else to the room, or 'ban' you from using it (unless you're running a business from there).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links