Cellar conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone might help with some advice...

We are currently thinking of having our vaulted cellar converted into a room that could be used for various things, but mainly an office/dry storage. In an ideal world, we would get building regulations and turn it into a habitable room, but with a lack of height, and a potentially awkward step it would never pass those regs, at least not for less than 15k.

So, we are thinking of getting a highly reputable firm to do a conversion without regs, but with their guarantee. They will do as much as they can to meet the regs (such as fire escape window, ventilation etc), and I will have to take the risk that no-one comes round to pull me up on the fact that I have a desk down there!

My question is how this would affect the property when selling on. We have bought properties in the past where a lack of building regs existed for an extension, and in that case it really did affect the value of the property as we had no idea who had built it. In this case, the potential buyers would see that it has been done properly by a reputable firm with a guarantee, and that it can be used as a home office or playroom etc. I could spend 15k on a habitable room, or 8k on a good dry cellar, and am trying to decide which!

Any help or views welcome....

orb.

Sponsored Links
This is somewhat similar to the situation in a house my son bought very recently. It had an unofficial loft conversion complete with proper stairway, radiator and velux windows. However, it had not been done to building regulations. It was obviously inteneded as a young child's playroom due to low height.

Because it was not up to standard it meant that the buyers could not claim that it was a third bedroom. Moreover, they could not claim that it was anything other than a storage room.

This is likely to be the case when you come to sell. You will not be able to say that it can be used for anything other than dry storage. You might even find that buyers (or their surveyors) are put off by it, although some may like it and accept it for what it is.

Lets hope that nobody burns to death down there, and then afterwards the insurers void the policy due to the unlawful conversion, and then you get a negligence or criminal claim against you

When you come to sell then the converted cellar will be treated just like a hole in the ground and a shrewd buyer will want the property price reduced accordingly.

You will also have to tell your selling agent and potential buyers that the work is unathorised

The only building regulations that wouldn't be met are head height and insulation. Over 90% of cellar conversions do not bother getting proper building regs, partly because they cannot be met, and my question was around value and perception rather than death by burning.

I'd appreciate it if you'd take your inflammatory comments to another thread.

Sponsored Links
You either have Building Regulations or you don't there is no half measure in the eyes of the law, an estate agent, an insurer or a buyers solicitor. As mentioned non-compliant can actually devalue a property rather than increase it. Headroom is not even mentioned in the Building Regulations except over a staircase and actually insulation is one of the most important aspects and arguably the least of your worries when converting a cellar. If you want to be able to sell it as a habitable room you'll have to cough up!

LOL. If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask such a stupid question

You are asking if a property with an unauthorised, unlawful conversion is going to affect the property value? Duh

And you don't want to conform to legal requirements because you want to save a few quid? Bah! Humbug

Where do you get your stats from to back up your "Over 90% of cellar conversions do not bother getting proper building regs, partly because they cannot be met" statement?

No, I didn't. I asked 'how' it would affect the valuation, not 'if'

Duh!

If you have something usful to say then say it in a way that might want to make people listen, otherwise sod off and don't bother...

Others - thanks. I can see that it would be best to cough up, or to get it done without regs and just use for dry storage which would be useful in itself.

Orb.

If you have something usful to say then say it in a way that might want to make people listen, otherwise s** off and don't bother...

Maybe take a leaf out your own book because if you continue to speak to or address people like that and with that attitude, then you will not be getting any help in the future, from here or others.

You come onto a free (and public) forum asking for advice, which is given by members who do not get paid for their time or advice but instead... when you're given what is a possible bad situation, then you don't like it.

If you are aware of what is/isn't required, then by all means go and do it and don't come on here (or other similar forums) asking for advice in which will not be listened to.

This is advice:

This is likely to be the case when you come to sell. You will not be able to say that it can be used for anything other than dry storage. You might even find that buyers (or their surveyors) are put off by it, although some may like it and accept it for what it is.

This isn't:

Lets hope that nobody burns to death down there, and then afterwards the insurers void the policy due to the unlawful conversion, and then you get a negligence or criminal claim against you

I think the difference is quite clear.

I was asking a straightforward question about the impact on a valuation of a full conversion with regs, versus a dry store that people could choose to use however they wanted - given the difference in cost in getting it done.

Ta.

I'm sorry, but that is advice! It may not be the advice or answer you're wanting to hear, but nevertheless, it's advice/information/detail given from a forum member, but getting straight to the point and the end result, which would be a result of your actions.

Maybe not in your case, but if people aren't told about the possible consequences, then they'd carry on regardless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back