building regs and selling

blb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I bought my house the loft had been converted to a 'storage room' with access via a ladder. I had a staircase installed , but did not have the work done to building regs (this would have required installing steel joists) as I still intended to use this room for storage.

Now that I intend to sell the house is it likely to cause any hassle that I've had the permanent access installed, even if the loft is described only as a storage area and not a bedroom?

Sponsored Links
take the stairway away and advertise as storage less hassle and for the sake of couple of quid, if any thing it might take money off or make it unsaleable for the right money

yes take the stair away...
your upper level will be designed probably as loft with the usual spot and distributed loadings for light access..and a water tank anywhere..
when you open up an are for different access the floor loadings go up...at least the structural design requirements.. the word storage can include paper which has a high loading requirement
if the area is there the next owner can call it what he likes...
i had the same thing in a 2 bed chalet bungalow which had the loft converted to two massive 'storage areas' by the previous owner...very handy for me and my family for 4 years using the are as 2 bedrooms and play areas...all nicely floored and carpeted with a really dangerous open plan stairway to the top..the headroom was just under 6 feet...:)
when we sold the estate agent description read two bed det bung...with loft area....it sold and we got our price..
a wise buyer can always see possibilities which 'you havent'..;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back