Loft Stairs removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. Im currently in the process of buying a 2 bed house. The 2nd bedroom has a fixed staircase going into the loft. The loft is boarded and had dry lined walls in the central section then doors to the eaves. Current owner has been there 20 years and the house was like that when bought- there are only boxes and old clothes being stored in the loft currently. Is it a big job to remove the fixed staircase and get a hatch and drop down ladder installed instead ? I’d only be using it for storage myself and it’s a non habitable room with no windows and just one light bulb on the ceiling. The fixed stair case takes up room in the 2nd bed and a drop down ladder is sufficient for what I will use it for. No interested in a full conversion due to regs and costs etc. thanks.

Sponsored Links
The best thing to do is to get 2 or 3 local, preferably recommended, tradesmen in to provide quotes as it isn't a huge job but as each situation is different it is difficult to give an accurate quote online without seeing the property.

Probably really easy assuming the stairs are not load bearing.
Do it yourself.

Loft ladder sets are cheap enough.

Sponsored Links
The best thing to do is to get 2 or 3 local, preferably recommended, tradesmen in to provide quotes as it isn't a huge job but as each situation is different it is difficult to give an accurate quote online without seeing the property.
Thanks - yeah I’m gonna do that anyway - it’s not the end of the world if it’s too much hassle to sort I just thought it would free some bedroom space up :) I’ve added a pic anyway. They don’t look load bearing as suggested on another post however I’m not a builder so don’t know. Thanks for the reply.

Attachments

• 86B828B8-70DA-4685-AB8F-9D1AABDAD12B.png
    86B828B8-70DA-4685-AB8F-9D1AABDAD12B.png
    628.7 KB · Views: 32
Probably really easy assuming the stairs are not load bearing.
Do it yourself.

Loft ladder sets are cheap enough.
Thanks. I don’t think they’re load bearing I’ll know properly when I move in. Added pic anyway. Looks like the loft as it is has been there a long time.

Attachments

• 14C44361-0D21-4AA0-88E1-D539F3B85381.png
    14C44361-0D21-4AA0-88E1-D539F3B85381.png
    628.7 KB · Views: 20
A recip saw and a decent sized pry bar/wrecking bar should have them out in 15 to 20 minutes. It'll take a lot longer to repair the plasterwork where the stringer runs up the well as to reduce the size of the 'ole in the floor above/ceiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back