Loft hatch advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm trying to improve my loft space

I'm planning to put some more insulation in there (currently there's only enough to cover the joists) and then board over using loft legs,

I also want to fit a loft ladder and drop down hatch, which is where i'm struggling

Currently there's a hatch which is "adequate" in size, there's not a lot of space to play with so i'd prefer not to have to enlarge the hole,

I've attached a picture of the existing hatch

The dimensions are as follows:

Outside (up to the edge of the architrave) dimenions 68x64cm
Inside dimensions of the opening 57x54cm

I would like to have a drop down hatch so I can fit a ladder like this 2-Section Aluminium Loft Ladder 2.69m | Loft Ladders | Screwfix.com

I'm struggling to find anything suitable apart form this one that seems very expensive, and im not sure if the dimensions are right?
Manthorpe GL270F Fire-Resistant Drop-Down Loft Door White 562 x 562mm | Loft Hatch | Screwfix.com

If anyone can point me in the direction of something suitable that would be great

Attachments

• IMG_20210424_221004.jpg
    IMG_20210424_221004.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 173
Sponsored Links
I managed to figure this out myself eventually

Trying to replace the loft hatch was really overthinking the issue

Instead, I bought this ladder which came with parts to "convert" the pop up hatch into a trapdoor type one:

3-Section Aluminium Loft Ladder 3m | Loft Ladders | Screwfix.com

With the existing pop up hatch panel in place, I scribed around the edge of the loft opening and then cut around the marks with my circular saw (4 straight line cuts with a guide on the saw). I then fitted the hinges and latch that came with the ladder to end up with this:

CqOhnJ3.jpg

When closed:

UsueiXb.jpg

Pleased with the outcome to be honest. I do want to adjust the hatch slightly to the left to get the gaps around the edge to line up evenly but I think i'll just quit while I'm ahead!

The access is quite tight but it's enough to get up and down the ladder without too much difficulty. The hatch is the maximum size it could be without cutting the joists so it's really the best I could do with this very small hallway area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back