New loft hatch and Boarding-Is this a fair quote???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there had a trawl through the forums and was hoping someone here may be able to help. We have an 1900s town terrace house that has a very narrow inspection loft hatch. I would like to get this enlarged and a proper drop down hatch and ladder installed. I would also like an area around the hatch boarded out so I can store stuff like Christmas decorations and suitcases up there. I have had a quote to do this work, which I thought seemed quite steep. Can anyone tell me if this is a reasonable price and if not what should I be looking at. Thanks very much. :)

Q u o t a t i o n

1. Remove existing hatch and surround, build supporting frame and enlarge hole to 734mm x 565mm. Supply and fit new Manthorpe GL250-03 draught and maintenance free drop down PVC loft hatch. (Size 562mm x 726mm). As discussed with lathe and plaster ceiling and there is a chance of some minor cracking around hatch………..........................................................................................................................£240.00

2. Supply and fit Abru Blue Seal 3 section easy stow aluminium loft ladder with handle. Supplied with an aluminium hooked pole which opens hatch and then is used to lower ladder. Max. load150 Kg. (Model Number: 37003)……...............................................................….........£190.00

3. Supply and fit single batten lamp wired into house’s lighting circuit with a switch by hatch entrance…………………...…………….......£95.00

4. Supply and fit approx.6.7m sq (3.6m x 1.85m) of boarding to the central half of the loft area on the same side of the hatch. This will be a floating floor using 90mm x 44mm joists laid on the existing structural joists. This boarding will e approx. 240mm above existing ceiling joists...£287.00

Total Fitted Price…….....£812.00
Not VAT registered so £812.00 is the total price.

Estimated Installation time – 2 days.

Sponsored Links
Around £250-£300 for material.

couple days labour, seems fair to me.

The price seems ok but I would go for the wooden drop down ladders with hatch incorporated much sturdier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back