Creating new loft hatch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

So we are moving house soon and the existing loft hatch is situated in the room our son will occupy.

It is a standard hatch. I'm wanting to create a new latch in our room and make it larger with an option to fit a ladder later.

I've measured to joists in the loft and they as follows:
20160626_171238.jpg

The space between the joists is 400mm and the joists are 80x35mm.

Is it best to created a hatch the width between the 2 joists 835mm or is that too wide?
Or am I'm completing wrong about this?

Sponsored Links
So after some further reading I've found a pre-fabricated loft hatch with ladders. KYL07 which requires an opening 700 x 1000. So I would need to cut one of the loft floor joists and create a new support using 2 new timber joists. I've read I need to use 2 new timber joists which are the same dimensions as the existing joists which are 35 x 80mm.

Can anyone offer advice?

Support the timbers you intend to cut using temporary propping, cut away the plasterboard tight to the required opening size, cut out the opening in the joists, fix trimmers, fix PB to trimmers, instal attic trap door casette, remove propping. In some attics you may well find that a single trimmer will suffice, although I'd prefer to double up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back