Loft hatch and ladder??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Bought our first house and its in need of a fair bit of work. I thought i'd start in the loft by boarding it etc so we have somewhere to store stuff while any work is being done throughout the house.

Now then, i currently have a square loft hatch with no ladder etc. Its basically just a hole with a lift out cover. What i want to do is buy one of the ready made loft/ladder hatch combos in local DIY stores.

My question is are these easy enough to fit? Is it just a case of cut the hatch hole big enough to fit the loft ladder or does the surrounding wood work (joists in the loft etc) need to be strengthened a certain way??

Anyone know of a good step by step guide or video that can help??

I'm quite competent at DIY but having never done this before i don't want to cut away etc and the ceiling falls in!!

Any help or advice appreciated!

Thanks, Mark :)

Sponsored Links
Have a look on the Fakro web site they do those ladders and if I remember correct they have an instalation guide.

1. Where is your present trap located - eg. over a stairwell, tight to a wall etc?

2. What section are your ceiling joists?

3. Is there any sag in the in place ceiling - can you push it up with one hand?

4. Go visit someone else's (neighbours or friends) installed loft ladder, and take pics and ask questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back