Loft ladder at the top of stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and girls,
I am looking to install a proper loft ladder in our loft hatch (currently using normal extending ladder which gets in the way when not being used) the only problem is with the current orientation of the hatch if i was to fit a ladder the base would come down at the top of a flight of stairs (dont fancy slipping and falling all the way down them) and if it was reversed it would clash with a doorway. the hatch cant be turned 90 degrees because it fits between the joists, has anybody got any suitable solution's to my problem?

Sponsored Links
We need a picture of the loft hatch and the joist positions, as taken from inside the loft. It is possible to turn the loft hatch, as long as the joist can be reinforced properly

Sponsored Links
This is something that we come across a lot and can be frustrating for householders.

Your options are somewhat limited to.

1. Making do by installing the ladder with base near top of stairs.
2. Installing the ladder so that it is fixed to the longer side of the hatch. This is dependant on space below of course and doesn't allow such easy access. Essentially you are going in sideways.
3. Relocating the hatch to a more convenient spot.

We install into doorways if we really have to. Usually means the door needs to be open in order to access the loft as the ladder base lands just level with the door frame. You can adjust the angle of the ladder slightly to help but not ideal. More often than not we would relocate the hatch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back