Building regs for garden shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've a 3 bed mid trerrace house that has recently had a single storey rear extension.

I am now planning to put a 7m by 3m CONCRETE SHED at the bottom of my garden (across the whole 7 metre width).

I think I don't need planning permission based on the following:
1. The size of shed plus house (with extension) is no more than 50% of size of land.
2. Since I am building on the rear garden boundary, the max height is 2.5 meters (the top of mono pitch roof).

Regarding, building regulations, I am a bit confused:
Building Regulations
If you want to put up small detached buildings such as a garden shed or summerhouse in your garden, building regulations will not normally apply if the floor area of the building is less than 15 square metres and contains NO sleeping accommodation.

If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation and is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.

The shed is 7m by 3m = 21 sq meters, however, it would have no sleeping accomodation and would be built from 100mm 7N/ 7.3N concrete blocks, along with a UPVC door and 2 UPVC windows.
Do I conform to substantially non-combustible material? Is there any way I can improve on this front?

Thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
Yes that'll be fine. In reality there are thousands of timber sheds of that size built on the boundary. Any electrics must conform though and is no bad thing in itself.

Thanks freddy for your reply.

Nice point about the electrics. The electrics would be provided by a 3 core armoured cable direct from the home's main board (independent MCB).

The electrician told me that he would install a seperate fuse box in the shed to cater for A LIGHT BULB and A TWIN SOCKET.

I think I don't need planning permission based on the following:
1. The size of shed plus house (with extension) is no more than 50% of size of land.

you misunderstand the 50% rule

you take the house as built or as 1947 take that size from the garden area
garden say 150 sqm house 50 sqm leaves 100sqm

so 50% = 50 sqm you then build an extension off say 15sqm you now have 35 left you now build a garage of 18sqm leaves 17sqm you then build a decking are of 5sqm you are now left with only 12sqm

Sponsored Links
Yep, not possible to say 'that'll be fine' on the information given.

If you are putting your power cable in a trench also put in other services e.g. a cat5e network cable, alarm cable and MDPE water pipe. Even if you don't think you will need them, cheap materials and less hassle to do now than to dig it all up when/if you decide you do want them.

big-all:
The planning portal says:
Outbuildings and other additions must not exceed 50% of the total area of land around the original house. Sheds and other outbuildings and extensions to the original house must be included when calculating the 50% limit.

If I omit the original house and only consider the land around it, that gives me much more area to build my shed. However I am not planning to extend more than 3 meters from the rear boudary of my garden.

Does the land around the original house include the driveway? I've a decent drive that accomodates 3 cars easily, so as you can see I think I am well within the 50% rule?

I wouldn't include the drive in the calculation of land that is 'lost'. The reason being that a driveway is called a 'hard surface' in the regulations.

'Hard Surface' is not included in 'the total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures and containers within the curtilage' which we are told we must include.

Law is here...

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/2362/pdfs/uksi_20082362_en.pdf

You need to interpret the regulations in your favour :)

Ok,

Ignoring the good sized drive, I'd a depth of 14 meters in the garden, so that allows me 7 meters of construction (end to end).
I've done a 3 meter rear extension (end to end), leaving me 4m for the shed. I am only doing 3m, so I should be fine on 50% I think :)

Thanks for your help..

not that simplistic length x width off garden = total area

footprint off house metres square full outtline as built or as 1947

take house figure from garden area then halve this area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back