Building regs for rain water drainge from garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
InkedIMG_2178_LI (3).jpg
IMG_2196.JPG
Hi , please advise. Our neighbours done some work in their front garden. They put concrete to the front of their house which slopes to our property. I asked them to install some drainage to stop the rain water coming to our side. They didn't took any action, so we had to call council to send someone to inspect . Unfortunately for us, the answer we received was not what I was expecting. Maybe I'm wrong , please advise

Sponsored Links
The 'Generic Repairs Officer' not only has a poxy job title, but is wrong.

What department does he/she work for, and are these council houses?

Hi, the letter is from Civic Offices. Our house is privately owned and the neighbor belongs to the council, the work was done by current resident builder. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The problem we have is, water builds up in severe months and it comes to our front wall. We don't have proper drainage in front garden, only gravel and soil.in my opinion extra water might create issues like mold inside the house.

I'd be tempted to write a letter to the Generic Complaints Department. There's probably a standard template.

A snotty letter by an illiterate and incompetent fool.

Write back to the fool reminding him of the landowners common law duty to
  • prevent flooding from their land to neighbouring land,
  • not to do anything that increases that risk of flooding
  • not to causes water to run off to neighbouring land
  • deal with surface water to his land, not pass it to others.
Obviously, if the fool turns up on a sunny day, he wont find "any evidence of flooding issues"

If the council are the landlord, then it is their responsibility under common law.

Further, remind the fool of the potential for a Statutory Nuisance (EPA 1990), for which the landlord owner is again responsible.

And require the fool to record on their CRM system (and send you a copy and reference number) that when the rain water run off then freezes, if you your family or visitors slip and are injured, you hold the council landlord responsible.

I would also enquire about his specific knowledge of risk assessments and trip hazards and wheither he is making a qualified comment or just some retort to get his own back on you. After all you would not like to go to the expense of ordering work which the fool states is necessary when he is not even qualified to comment upon.

In fact, this should be going straight to a Stage 1 formal complaint.

As Woody says he is a fool....everyone knows that a letter starting dear Sir/Madam should be ended with Yours faithfully and not yours sincerely!!

Joking aside, as Woody said I would be making a complaint as he is wrong and you need evidence of it. Also should tenants be performing this type of work without permission anyway, I would doubt it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back