Neighbour causing flooding to my property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have recently moved into a link-detached house. The survey picked up a number of things but didn't find this problem as it was carried out in the dry spell.

The street is on a shallow hill meaning each house is slightly higher than it's neighbour. Each house has a driveway to the front leading to the garage and some have paved the whole areas in front to create more off-road parking. The garages also project a few feet to the front of the property.

Our 'higher' neighbours had their front garden paved last year and whoever did it raised the level of their front garden by building a small retaining wall and using our garage wall and back filling it. It still slopes to allow water to run off. They have put a gulley in against the side of our garage but this is useless.

When it rains the water is running off their driveway into the gulley they had installed against our garage. This wouldn't be a problem but the water is penetrating the single skin brick of our garage and pooling inside meaning we can't use half the garage.

The surveyor has since been back at our request and has seen the problem. He has put in writing that it's being caused by the neighbours driveway and he recommends a soak away is installed and the wall is tanked.

The neighbour is now aware of this and has basically told us it's our problem.

Can anyone suggest a way forward? If left it will cause serious damage but I feel it's the neighbour who should get it rectified.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as much info as possible.

Cheers, J

Sponsored Links
Did the new hard surface cover more than 5m²? If so the first port of call is to check and see if they applied for planning permission. (I doubt it) This was a new planning requirement introduced specifically to ensure new hard surfaces are correctly designed for drainage and flooding - so if it has not been designed correctly and does not have planning permission the planners ought to take positive action. You should be able to check on line.

Also check with your Local Authority as to which department will deal with nuisance such as this. It might be Public Health or Environmental Department.

Council should take action against perpetrator to prevent nuisance.

Thanks folks.

Just checked the planning and there has been none either applied for or granted.

I'll speak to the council tomorrow.

The company who did the work are known to be of traveller descent and the work is falling apart in other places too.

Sponsored Links
Is it worth going back to your neighbour with your new-found information, explaining to them that they are in breach of a few regulations and also causing a nuisance.
They might appreciate your honesty and the opportunity to rectify the problem.
They'll be your neighbours for a long time. ;)

Is it worth going back to your neighbour with your new-found information, explaining to them that they are in breach of a few regulations and also causing a nuisance.
They might appreciate your honesty and the opportunity to rectify the problem.
They'll be your neighbours for a long time. ;)

I'd agree with that. I wouldn't normally advocate going in shouting regs and rules except you had already approoached the neighbour and apparently got the old 'not my problem mate'. Even so you do have to live next to them so it might be as well to point out the planning issue and give them another chance to sort things out amicably.

Thanks folks.

The company who did the work are known to be of traveller descent and the work is falling apart in other places too.
:LOL: - Classic - but I hope you get it resolved , just hope the neighbour isn`t related to the contractor ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back