Building regs headache

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope someone can help me...

My house has a garage conversion done by the previous owner several years ago.
Permission was given by the council but they never got a completion certificate.
I have an indemnity policy to cover this.

However I'm now getting a builder to add a downstairs toilet in the conversion and knock part of a wall down.

If I apply for building regs on these new alterations will i get in trouble for the old works that never got signed off?

Sponsored Links
No, they cannot lawfully get awkward with you. It's well beyond any time limit by when they could bring about any prosecution for any non compliance.

First of all, who advised getting indemnity insurance? - complete waste of time if the council already know about the work.

Secondly, you won't be in trouble if you make a building regs application for your new work - the old alterations are well out of time for the council to do anything.

Sponsored Links
tony1851";p="3350005 said:
First of all, who advised getting indemnity insurance? - complete waste of time if the council already know about the work.

The previous owners supplied the indemnity policy when we bought the house.
Our solicitor said it wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

Your solicitor is correct. If the council knows about the work (which technically they do in your case), the insurance is not valid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back