Building Regs passed....but hard to believe.

Garyo/Cyclone,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Maybe I didn't make it clear in my initial post but the reason for the post was just to find out if anyone had experience of challenging Building Regs years down the line, to which Jeds cleared things up. I'm not ready (yet) to ask for assistance from folks on here regarding the actual workmanship. But that time will come.......soon!!!
Thanks again

Reading it again you simply have a disclaimer from the homepack outfit that they were not able to inspect the superstructure of the roof.

However what should have been provided to them was a completion cert by the local authorities stating the work was done to building reg standard.
These thing are very important docs and should have been passed on to you. You need to contact the LA and confirm if a completion cert was issued, and get a copy if possible.

I have done 2 such conversions, one from scratch and one to rectify a dangerous conversion that had been done without control. The dodgy one was obvious to anyone ;)

He has allready done that and it has been confirmed that building regs were passed. The question was whether there was any claim on building control because they (not for the first time) passed a pile of crap. Unfortunately there is no chance of a claim because it's out of time and in any case - as somebody else pointed out - it is quite possible to build a pile of crap that does pass the minimum requirements.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the council erred and you need to spend your own money to have things fixed because of this.

The council doesn't have any protection in law when making these kinds of mistakes and if they mess up they can be ordered to pay compensation. However I suspect the 'powers that be' will also expect you to chase the bulider and also the householder who had it put up so the council might only have to cough up a part of the costs to make good.

Garyo/Cyclone,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Maybe I didn't make it clear in my initial post but the reason for the post was just to find out if anyone had experience of challenging Building Regs years down the line, to which Jeds cleared things up. I'm not ready (yet) to ask for assistance from folks on here regarding the actual workmanship. But that time will come.......soon!!!
Thanks again

Reading it again you simply have a disclaimer from the homepack outfit that they were not able to inspect the superstructure of the roof.

However what should have been provided to them was a completion cert by the local authorities stating the work was done to building reg standard.
These thing are very important docs and should have been passed on to you. You need to contact the LA and confirm if a completion cert was issued, and get a copy if possible.

I have done 2 such conversions, one from scratch and one to rectify a dangerous conversion that had been done without control. The dodgy one was obvious to anyone ;)

He has allready done that and it has been confirmed that building regs were passed. The question was whether there was any claim on building control because they (not for the first time) passed a pile of crap. Unfortunately there is no chance of a claim because it's out of time and in any case - as somebody else pointed out - it is quite possible to build a pile of crap that does pass the minimum requirements.

Yeah I understand that now, and can't help regarding addressing building control, but it would help an awfull lot if the op could give some idea of what he/she/others think is wrong with the conversion, obvious;ly the restructuring of the roof would have been covered in detail in the consent application

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back