Building regs - improvements to existing garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time poster here, so apologies if the answer to this question has already been covered elsewhere.

When purchasing my property back in 2006, it came to light that Building Regs hadn't been obtained on the garage conversion completed some time in the 1990s by the previous owner. Building regs were retrospectively applied for by the seller as part of the sale and were obtained - this only required minor rectification to the window catches for fire escape.

However, it has always been obvious to me that the quality of the conversion was not great, particularly in respect of its thermal insulation. I'm now finally looking at making improvements to the conversion. Some of this work would be 'self approved', e.g. installation of a warm flat roof by a Competent Roofer approved trader and new windows/door by an appropriately registered company.

My concern is over the rest of the work, which I intend to do myself and in particular upgrading the insulation in the walls and floor where practicable, to ensure that as far as possible it meets the requirements of Building Regs.

I'm comfortable enough with how the work needs to be done in order to achieve the renovation requirements of Part L1B of the Regs, but my concern is that Building Control start imposing requirements which are further than I want to go. For example, there's no scope to improve the floor insulation in one part of the conversion to Building Regs standard unless I rip up the existing screed floor, which I don't want to do. Conversely, another section of the floor can easily be upgraded to meet Building Regs by renovation of the suspended timber floor, so I intend to do that.

In summary, do you think that getting Building Control involved is of any benefit in these circumstances? And if I don't, what are the risks?

Many thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
If you're making something better, you probably don't need to have them involved.
Theoretically you (only) need to improve them of you're substantially renovating a thermal element, so if you're not digging your floor up anyway you don't need to improve it at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back