Building Regs Needed, Planning ? or Both ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys and Girls

I'm currently at a cross roads and looking for some helpful advice, as im getting conflicting advice from friends/family and the intenet.

I currently have a detached, single garage... its set back from the road and well away from the house. It does not have electric or water etc... its just a rubbish 3m wide , 5m long concrete sectional one on a raised 4inch slab.

I wish to move the garage back, and increase it's size to 6m wide, and 7m long. (good size double !?)
I am obviously going to have to have a new slab put in, and demolish the old one.
(Expensive :()

However, I'm unsure yet as to which route to take for the actual replacement garage... I'm contemplating getting some extra concrete panels the same (dirt cheap) and making my exisiting garage bigger., then insulate it. 6mx7m
BUT will I then need planning as it will be over the 30 sqM allowance despite being made of non combustable Concrete ?

There is also a shed already in the garden, was here when we moved here.

OR weather to go brick (block) built (and insulate it) but if i was going to go block, I'd definitely need planning and go higher obviously.

I'm in Cheshire West.

Thank you in advance, and I am sorry if this is a stupid DIY Style question.

Regards
Al.
Photo of Current Garage/Situation.

Sponsored Links
You're confusing planning permission (whether you are allowed to build) with building regs (how it should be built)

Have a look at the Planning Portal https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings , it is quite clear about the parameters for permitted development (max height either within 2000 of the boundary or not, % of original garden, behind principal elevation) and it makes no difference if you build with spun sugar and unicorn dust or concrete. Your local planners can grant or deny planning permission.

Building Regulations are technical standards which apply to certain buildings. A garage larger than 30 sq m requires building control notification, inspections and compliance- mainly foundation depth, wall design, roof design, drainage- and providing your build complies with the technical requirements it will be passed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back