Garage Building Regs Requirements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We are moving house soon and the new house has a derelict double garage that will need demolishing and replacing. We are planning a traditional single skin block and rendered garage, with a with tiled rood.
The Council have advised that the new garage will require planning permission due to its position relative to the house.
We are aware that if the size of the garage is kept to under 30sq metres floor area it will not be subject to building regs control. However, we were wondering what would be the difference in requirements and costs if we go beyond 30 sq metres and build to building regs compared to keeping it below 30 sq metres and avoiding the regs?

Also, we we thinking of using these people to draw up the plans for our planning application, http://www.garage-design-plans.co.uk/Double_garage.php
Is that a reasonable approach?

Sponsored Links
The Council have advised that the new garage will require planning permission due to its position relative to the house.
I thought that rule had gone.

PP may be needed if your PD rights have been withdrawn, or if you're in a conservation area, or if it covers too much of the garden etc, but not because it's close to the house.

We are aware that if the size of the garage is kept to under 30sq metres floor area it will not be subject to building regs control. However, we were wondering what would be the difference in requirements and costs if we go beyond 30 sq metres and build to building regs compared to keeping it below 30 sq metres and avoiding the regs?
Looked at sensibly, the cost difference should only be the extra building costs for a larger structure, and the application fee, because you should build it properly no matter what the size. You don't want a 30m² building to leak/fall down/subside/catch fire/be damp any more than you want a 31m² one to, surely?

Also, we we thinking of using these people to draw up the plans for our planning application, http://www.garage-design-plans.co.uk/Double_garage.php
Is that a reasonable approach?
It's just a garage - not very complicated. Look at the example on their website. Look on your council's website for other applications which people have done. You ought to be able to DIY the drawings and plans well enough for a PP application. Save your money for proper detailed plans if you need BR approval and/or for the builder to work to.

If you want to use it as a garage, have you considered a timber one? They are more car friendly from the POV of ventilation and condensation, and assuming the existing slab is OK it could go onto that as is. Don't know if it's too close to the boundary though.

Thank you for your comments, the garage will require PP as it is deemed to be in front of the building line.
I take your point that we would not want to build a garage that is structurally un-sound or dangerous however, I am pretty ignorant with regard to building regs and was wondering if we do build a garage that needs building control will that bring us into a category requiring other expensive requirements not actually pertinent to the structural integrity and safety of a garage?

Also, am I correct that the 30 sq metre floor area rule for building regs exemption is the internal floor measurement?

Thank you for your comments, the garage will require PP as it is deemed to be in front of the building line.
I take your point that we would not want to build a garage that is structurally un-sound or dangerous however, I am pretty ignorant with regard to building regs and was wondering if we do build a garage that needs building control will that bring us into a category requiring other expensive requirements not actually pertinent to the structural integrity and safety of a garage?

Also, am I correct that the 30 sq metre floor area rule for building regs exemption is the internal floor measurement?

Yes, it is the internal measurement. As for building it with regs, apart from the fees they charge, they will make you dig footings half way to Australia, which is all extra time, skips, concrete and brick/blockwork to get back up to damp course level. You may of course want to go to the recommended depth regardless of regs, but in my view most garages don't require such deep footings. Once you are out of the ground, the costs with or without regs are broadly similar.

Sponsored Links
ive built a couple of garages over the past few years
all foundations were 1000mm x 600mm minimum as asked for by the building inspector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back