Building regs/planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have gone through what seems like endless conflicting documents about building regs and planning permission and need some advice from someone who knows better or has done this kind of thing themselves.

Firstly, I'm knocking down the wall that divides my kitchen and dining room. It isn't load bearing so I'm under the impression I can go ahead with that. Am I correct?

Secondly, I want to brick up my back door that leads into my kitchen as I'm getting french doors to replace the window in the dining room. I'm getting a pro in for the french doors so he'll sort out any regs for that but do I need permission/regs for closing up the old back door?

Thanks

Burnio

Sponsored Links
Burnio said:
Firstly, I'm knocking down the wall that divides my kitchen and dining room. It isn't load bearing so I'm under the impression I can go ahead with that. Am I correct?

Ask the local council building inspectors and planning department if you can do it. Are you 100% certain the wall is

[1] not load bearing ( joists not supported by it )
[2] not part of a bracing structure for ajacent walls.

Secondly, I want to brick up my back door that leads into my kitchen as I'm getting french doors to replace the window in the dining room. I'm getting a pro in for the french doors so he'll sort out any regs for that but do I need permission/regs for closing up the old back door?

Almost certainly yes so check with the palnning department.

Draw up some sketches of aht you waht to do and have an in-formal chat with the planning department / building inspectors. Most of them are very helpful if you seek their advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back