Will i need planning permission?

17 Jan 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom

Im in the process of renovating the kitchen and dining room, There is currently a brick load bearing wall between the two which i want to remove to make an open plan kitchen and dining room. Im also raising the inglenook style fire place to fit a large cooker in the breast. On top of this i want to fit consertina doors to a width of 3.6m in the external dining room wall in place of a window and small double patio doors.

Im not sure what i need to do to start with? Get builders in quotes? Get plans drawn up, Contact the council? Building regs?


Sponsored Links
You won’t need planning permission but its notifyable work & you will need to submit a Building Notice. Unlikely you’ll need plans but you will need to submit structural calculations & possibly sketches for the support beam that will be required for the load bearing wall & your LABC will want to inspect the beam installation & the installation of the bi-fold doors. 3.6m is quiet a wide opening, are the existing doors & window under the same lintel? If installing a new lintel or even a beam is involved, they will most likely want calculations for that as well.

You need to start with a builder; get at least 3 quotes, make sure they know what they are doing & you need to make it clear if you want the builder to take responsibility for the Building Notice submission; they wont necessarily do it automatically & the responsibility is on you to ensure the work complies with Building Regulations, not the builder.

You will need forced extract ventilation (fan) in the kitchen & venting up a flue as a means of extraction (if that’s what you had in mind) is a really bad idea & unlikely to be accepted on it's own. You would need a considerable size fan to shift the vertical column of air in the flue & you will suffer condensation & a build up of congealed fat on the inside of the flue. Any new electrical work in the kitchen must be done by a Part P registered electrician & certified complaint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links