Building regs - porch and conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently constructed a lean to porch and self build conservatory and have some concerns regarding building regulations. We've become a bit frazzled by this all so any replies are much appreciated.

For information we live in a semi detached house and both additions are within 1m of a neighbouring boundary.

Lean to porch - this is adjoins a side and rear wall of the house as it sits within a nook. The lean to is 3m long and 2m wide, built from a timber frame and is insulated and plasterboard with electrics running to it. There's no heating. An external grade door is located between the main house and lean to, and there is an external grade door from the lean to to the garden. The roof is polycabonate and it's founded on a mix of concrete blocks (with concrete pad foundations) and direct to house fixings. I had planning permission approved for this and sent the required form to building control detailing the type of building, materials used etc. They responded simply saying the lean to can be considered as an exempt building if its use is either a porch or covered way. My concern is what is a porch definition as the lean to is enclosed all round, not open and I've failed to find out if a porch technically has openings to the outside (effectively no walls in places).

Conservatory - I ordered and constructed a DIY conservatory that was bespoke. It was designed buy a reputable company who told me building regs were not required. However, I've now read that the conservatory requires the external walls to be a minimum 50% glazed. Ours is unfortunately below this (33% glazing) as I wasn't told this was required by the company when they designed it. We mainly have durabase units which are metal cases with insulation built in and brick slips on the outside. What are the risks with this? Do I need to notify building control at my council? Will they likely reject this on safety grounds or would I likely get retrospective approvals? Or am I worrying way too much unnecessarily? I guess our concern is our insurance may be voided based on the above if we had say a house fire.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I've just learnt that the requirement for a conservatory to be substantially glazed was removed in England which is where I live, though most local authorities still use this saying there's no definition of what percentage is required.

The total glazed area of the walls and roof combined are 62% of the overall conservatory.

Last edited:
From how you describe them, both your porch and conservatory would appear to be exempt on the basis that they're < 30 m2.
There must be an external-grade door between the house and conservatory, however.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back