Requirements for Porch with downstairs Loo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm wondering I can get some clarification on Building Regs and Planning permission for a future porch/downstairs loo build that I will get my family builder to do for me.

I live in a mid terrace and so expansion of the property is pretty limited.

Last Year I had a 12m2 conservatory added to the rear of the property and although I did not need planning permission of building regs for this work I did (due to being in old MOD housing) have to approach Mitie Scotgate who manage our 'site' for a buildover license on the basis my conservatory was going over an access cover for the guttering drains. (I chose to put an access in the conservatory floor using a cover I could tile).

Anyway, with the porch/loo things are obviously different. I believe I will have to contact Mitie and have a drain survey done again and apply for another 'buildover' license (crooks!!!!) for the work at the front of the property as the work will take place within 2m of existing pipes/access covers.

Conveniently the upstairs loo is at the front of the house with the downpipe coming down inside a cupboard in the kitchen behind some panelling and this is immediately the the right of the front door when looking at the house from the front.

My plan therefore is to build a porch around 4m2, containing a small loo with a bi fold door, move my existing front door to the front of the porch and fit an interior door where the front door is presently, with the waste pipe for the loo going through the brickwork and attached to the existing downpipe using a t collar.

I think I am safe with regard to the need for planning permission from the local council, but not sure if I will need building regs.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
See here for planning/building regulation requirements...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/porch

You shouldn't require planning permission (providing you comply with the dimensions as specified in the link), but you will need building regulation approval, as you will be removing the existing front door (and replacing it with an internal door). By doing this, the porch becomes an extension. And also the face, you're installing a W.C.

Well it looks like I'm going to need the whole lot then....

The porch will be over 3m2 in external dimensions in order to incorporate the W.C.

Building Reg's are required as PP mentions and Mitie will try to sting me as well.

What I am unclear on (and the link is useless for this im afraid as in typical .gov fashion it's as clear as mud) is the actual process...i want something step by step that tells me what i have to send to whom etc etc?

Any ideas appreciated! :D

Sponsored Links
Are you thinking about dealing with it yourself? It not, employ an Architect/Technician who would be able to see through the whole process.

Basically, you will need to produce plans and elevations, showing the existing and proposed layouts. Submit those to the planning department along with any other documentation they require and fill out the necessary forms and submit the correct fee, which is normally £150.00. Once you receive planning approval, you then can submit a Building Regulation application. There are two ways of submitting a BR application. One way requires some basic as existing/as proposed drawings and the application, while the other requires detailed drawings and specifications, as well as the application. The latter method would attract an official BR approval. Once you have the BR approval, you can use those approved drawings/specifications to go out to tender and then once you've engaged a contractor, let them crack on with the works and make sure they call out the Building Control Officer at different stages of the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back