Porch options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment we have a old porch on our house. (see below) It's 4M x 1.6M, has a concrete slab base, open sides... and a tile roof held up by three oak pillars. So more of a shelter than a porch.

We'd like to make this more usable. The house has a small kitchen and could really do with the storage space and 'dumping ground' that a porch would offer.

The front wall of the house has a dog leg/notch in it, which means that although the porch is 1.6M deep, only around .5M is forward of the front wall of the house. The porch has been there for around ten years.

SWMBO wants to have something that ostensibly looks like a dwarf wall, white UPCV glazing all round, front door, then leave the roof as it stands. Also leaving the existing exterior door. A bit like a conservatory. I'm not a fan of this look, plus it wouldn't be able to support the tiled roof.

I see the options as follows:

1) Do it on the cheap : Build a two brick thick dwarf wall, brick pillars to replace the oak beams, use the existing roof, and then decorate the inside. Strikes me as an improvement to the existing structure - no paperwork required. Damp issues due to lack of DPM on the slab etc, but is it really that simple?

2) rebuild with a cavity wall and replacement insulated slab with damp proof membrane etc, retaining existing roof. So avoid building regs and planning, but much more money for something that's still, in my eyes, a bit dodgy.

3) as per 2 but compliant with regs. I expect this will mean replacing the roof? This will allow us to put power/lights in the porch, and remove the existing front door if required.

4) A proper 'extension', removing the existing front door, but not opening it out very much in particular.

Someone three doors up has done something similar to 4) with frosted glass on the side facing the neighbour, and with a loo by the looks, so I don't envisage a problem with planning being refused.

My main hang-up with all this is that I really don't want to replace the roof - Are building regs particularly onerous when it comes to roof structures? I'd do 100% of the work myself.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
Issues with the roof could be solved with solid masonry at the (gable) ends and maybe a central column or pier of masonry, with the odd lintel thrown in.

As for the argument as to whether or not to make this space habitable, rests with how you intend using the space.

A porch is somewhere to dump wet shoes and coats, is not heated, is ventilated by opening windows, and is separated from the main dwelling by an external spec' door.

As soon as you open this space up to the main dwelling, i.e. remove the front door, it becomes 'habitable' and falls under building reg's.

Keep it as a porch and you stay under the reg's radar. ;)

Cheers Nose.

Does the fact that the porch already exists mean planning permission isn't required (it's bigger than the 3M x 1M limit for exemption)

Gary

Sponsored Links
Not sure about planning. Size wise you are probably ok, it is when a storm porch becomes an enclosed porch, mebbe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back