Building Regs question for new boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it true that the current building regs require that when a new boiler is fitted, that the radiators must also be fitted with thermostatic valves?

We're having a new combi boiler fitted and the corgi engineer said that he couldn't fit one with also fitting TRV's to the rads cos of building regs. I can understand why for energy efficiency, but is it really a building regs requirement?

Sponsored Links
Yeah I think you need to have them fitted to comply. I thought you could legally get away with only fitting them in bedrooms and the rest can stay as is.

:?:

No you dont need TRV's but it is best practise (according to the CHESS guide) to fit them. You do not contravine building regs by not fitting them though.

Sponsored Links
No you dont need TRV's but it is best practise (according to the CHESS guide) to fit them. You do not contravine building regs by not fitting them though.

Harrogategas could be right, i'm sure i read some where that trv's need to fitted to sleeping areas but checking online the word "encouraged" is mentioned. So you could get away with it.

sounds to me like the engineer is giving good advice though and I would have them fitted to your bedrooms. They don't cost a lot and they can be diy fitted if cost is a concern.

I'd recommend you pay for them to do it if a reasonable price. He's only doing good practice.

I myself think it is the best way of using your heating TRV's are great (when they work) but regs also say, aProgrmmable roomstat in a room without TRV????? In my opinion this defeats the object of having a TRV.
Is it me or have I read it wrong (completed energy efficiency) but still can't get my small brain around it.

According to my area inspector, on a boiler change trv`s should be offered to the customer, if they refuse them it`s the homeowner contravening building regulations not the installer. The system you are effectively upgrading wasn`t designed by you so it`s basically a loophole. On a new system trv`s are mandatory as you have designed the system, and therefore have to comply with chess and building regulations.

Thanks Strachan

I have wondered in the past (does anybody know the rules)
There are so many different versions of the rules I don't think Corgi even know all I get is what do MI's Say ?

Thanks to all of you - all the thoughts were very much appreciated :)

TRV's it is then!

does anybody know the rules

TRVs on all radiators, except in rooms with a room thermostat. This is now considered basic practice.

Here they are. Thats the latest anyway.
The part relevant to this topic is on pages 4-5

sime10 said:
a Progrmmable roomstat in a room without TRV????? In my opinion this defeats the object of having a TRV.
Is it me or have I read it wrong (completed energy efficiency) but still can't get my small brain around it.

No thats right..do not put a TRV in the room the thermostat or digistat is fitted.

What would happen if the TRV shut the rad off but the stat was still calling for heat in the rest of the house.......seriuos misuse of gas I fear.........

The room stat in essense is doing the same job as the TRv in that area. Always , always leave a TRV off the room the stat is fitted, it actually conravines best practise guidlines in fitting TRV in the same space as a Stat.

And STOP fitting room stats in hallways!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back