Building Regs question for new boilers

Yes but the room with the stat in is great.
But the other rooms have got a brass monkey in waiting for a welder

Sponsored Links
Where you want it the warmest, usually the lounge. Depending on circumstances.

ok put it in the hallway and set at 19-20 but wonder why your sweating your arse off in the lounge because its 24oC and prob wont even get to 20 in the hallway.

my point is in the hallway, its just a switch. Who cares what temp it is in a hallway. I wanna set it at a comfortable temp in the room i and most people spend time.

a fire in the lounge would be 'circumstances'

Sponsored Links
I was ready to disagree with you Harrogate but I think we on the same wavelength :eek:

rob884 said:

my point is in the hallway, its just a switch. Who cares what temp it is in a hallway. I wanna set it at a comfortable temp in the room i and most people spend time.

That's what A thermostatic valve is for. Remind me to tell you about it them some day.

AFAIK when replacing a boiler TRV are required under the building regs, and you don't get out of it by blaming the customer. Legally both parties will have committed the crime. Systems also have to be changed to fully pumped, though this could cause problems, and so adding a 2-port valve could be ok.

None of this matters if you don't expect the system to be looked at by building control.

"""Legally both parties will have committed the crime."""

Just possibily but a good defense might be that the property owner refuses to let you fit them!!! Or another way the owner will not PAY for them!

In reality a TRV will pay for itself in savings within six months if its properly used!!!

Tony

Some debate. Roomstats have been used to control systems put in when Adam was a little boy. Roomstat and trvs look at the room temperature and react to it. TRV reaction is to shut the radiators when desired room temperature has been reached but the boiler keeps cycling to deliver heat that is not going anywhere (except the bypass- thus watefull).

On the other hand, a roomstat will react to room temperature AND switch the boiler off.

Best practice is to fit TRVs in rooms that are warmed by sunlight (and bedrooms as required- I would opt for bedrooms to be MV zoned with own roomstat)

If the installer sizes radiators according to heatloss, a roomstat would control the boiler and TRVs fine tune the system.

the bit i dont like about it all is filling in the benchmark books when you are made to feel as though it is your reponsibiity to police Britains heating systems/controls. And its getting worse.

sime10 said:
...a brass monkey in waiting for a welder
A brass monkey is a cannonball cradle, not a cast figurine of a male ape.

Best practice is to fit TRVs in rooms that are warmed by sunlight (and bedrooms as required- I would opt for bedrooms to be MV zoned with own roomstat)

Basic practice is to fit TRVs in every room except the one with the stat in it

Best practice is to fit TRVs in every room except the one with the stat in it

Here is the CHeSS 2005 link as per my earlier post

HarrogateGas said:
And where do you propose the best place is?

Any comments ( other than expense ) on this proposal.

All room with radiators have thermosstats fitted. The thermostat controls the flow to the radiator(s) in that room via a motorised valve. When any valve is open the heating demand is extended to the boiler.

One radiator ( hall way ) has no control in order to allow it to act as heat dump during pump over run.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

As posted earlier, you may place a stat anywhere you like in the house, best kept in a room where you spend most time, away from the rad, 1.5 meters from the floor, not where it will be affected by direct sunlight, and not on an outside wall.

my father in law has had a new boiler the corgi guy fitted no trvs , room stat is in hall which is cold part of house . so upstairs is boiling hot and living room . i think the stat should be in the hotest room to save gas. my heating has so stat just trvs in all but one room and a programable timer

Building regs certainly do require that sleeping areas are zoned (for heat) seperately for a new or replacement boiler. It doesn't have to be TRV's but in most homes its the simplest way.
Oh and for me- hallway is the very best place for the roomstat!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back