New Boiler = Must put TRV's on all rads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is my plumber correct in saying that if he replaces my boiler, the regs say he must fit TRV's on all my rads?

Is this also true for adding a new radiator to a system?

Sponsored Links
my understanding is now that they are only specifically needed in bedroom areas

however best practice is still in every room (except the one where the roomstat goes)

Your plumber might be willing not to fit them if it's noted in the quote that you refused to have them fitted.

Why don't you want them?

Is my plumber correct in saying that if he replaces my boiler, the regs say he must fit TRV's on all my rads?
No.

If it is a new system, the property is divide into two zone: living area and rest of the house. You must then have thermostats and/or TRVs to control the temperature in the zones. Properties over 150m² also have to have separate time controls in each zone.

But if you are just replacing the boiler there is no requirement to divide the house into zones or fit TRVs. You can still treat the house as one large zone controlled by a wall thermostat. This is the minimum requirement; there is nothing to stop you putting in TRVs if you want to.

Is this also true for adding a new radiator to a system?
No.

Sponsored Links
Its generally considered in the trade that the energy efficiency advice is that TRVs "should" be fitted when a new boiler is added.

Some installers like to interpret "should" as meaning they should be fitted.

I see that as fine but as long as he can demonstrate that he told you they should be fitted then if YOU choose not to then he can still fit the boiler.

Tony

I've always thought that you might as well get the trvs fitted while your system is empty.

Not a specific requirement as far as I know though.

Thanks for the replies, and clearing that up ...

TRV's always seem problematic jamming shut etc.
The system as it is seems well balanced, but I might replace the older 70's rads with more modern ones in which case I suppose it would be worth fitting TRV's ...

I will speak to my plumber!!

new rads are no more efficient in heating than old ones!

TRVs save energy on old or new rads.

Older ones used to jam. Cheap ones jam and particularly Wickes TRVs.
However, I have so far never been to a sticking Drayton TRV4.

Tony

, I have so far never been to a sticking Drayton TRV4.

Tony

we must be living on different planets then as i have seen loads jam and get stuck down refuse to open some open but stay stuck down for the price you pay for TRV4s i say its not worth it might as well get some yorkshire terriors slightly cheaper no rad valves are bullet proof face it my theory is if its a moving or movable mechanical part itll breakdown one day period

new rads are no more efficient in heating than old ones!

TRVs save energy on old or new rads.

Older ones used to jam. Cheap ones jam and particularly Wickes TRVs.
However, I have so far never been to a sticking Drayton TRV4.

Tony

Really?

New rad's have fin's on the back so convect heat better, hold less water and are made of thinner material to dissapate the heat easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back