Do all rads need TRV's?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had an extension added to my house. Comprising Utility room, WC and Kitchen. The builder has installed in the utility & kitchen rads with TRV's, but the WC has a towel rail with just a manual valve. Is this correct?

System is "S" plan, all existing rads in the house have TRV's except hallway where room stat is located and system is fitted with auto bypass. I expected this to fail LABC inspection, as I understood all rads should have TRV's. However, LABC have inspected and issued certificate of compliance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
we always install an auto bypass (22mm) and if the system requires a roomy then that room will have standard valves. In my house i purposly didnt put a TRV on the bathroom rad as i like it to be hot to dry towels.

Well I have building regs part L and from my understanding as long as best advice is left to the consumer. ie you should have TRVs on all but the control rad where the roomstat is. If the consumer refuses then you cannot insist.

the above is correct
best practice is to put trv on all but the room with stat, acceptable minimum standard is living areas only fitted (lounge, diner, bedrooms) it is not compulsory to fit except in new builds

I stand corrected its been awhile since I did a fresh central heating install , ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back