Compulsory TRV's?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a two part question...

My dad has been told by a plumber that when his conventional boiler needs to be replaced, legislations says that a) he must replace it with a condensing boiler and b) he must put TRV's on his radiators. Is true?

Secondly, he has a one pipe CH system (that is, the pipe is continuous, with two taps off for each radiatior - NOT that each radiator is connected in series). Is there any reason why TRV's can't be fitted to such a system?

Many thanks,
Andy

Sponsored Links
My dad has been told by a plumber that when his conventional boiler needs to be replaced, legislations says that a) he must replace it with a condensing boiler and b) he must put TRV's on his radiators. Is true?

In general, yes, but there are exceptions, particularly if the boiler being replaced is a back boiler.

It is all explained in Domestic Heating Compliance Guide

Secondly, he has a one pipe CH system (that is, the pipe is continuous, with two taps off for each radiatior - NOT that each radiator is connected in series). Is there any reason why TRV's can't be fitted to such a system?
It is possible, but while going to the expense of replacing the boiler it would be worth considering re-piping as a two pipe installation.

The main problem with a single pipe system is that the earlier rads have a knock-on effect for the later rads in the circuit, which is compounded when you have TRVs, unless the system has been properly designed.[/url]

Sponsored Links
I suppose that if we wanted to be pedantic about it then NO boiler has to be a condensing boiler provided that the required SEDBUK rating can be achieved...However the only way that I can think of to achieve the required rating is to make the boiler a condenser (Im sure that some one else will know different)..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back