building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i had an internal wall removed 2 years ago and was told by the builder that i did not need building regs approval or planning permission,

a friend has now informed me that i should of got build regs as it was a structural wall.

i cant find the builder that did the work.

what do i do now ?

i'm worried telling the building regs people now as i'm not sure what
could happen to me - will i be fined or worse ??

can anybody tell me if i would get fined or worse pls ?

Sponsored Links
One way or the other you’ll need to have them in; If you come to sell the property the buyer’s solicitor will want to see the certificate.

If you contact your local planning office and explain what’s happened they can come out and inspect the work and issue a retrospective certificate. You will have to pay the fee though…the amount depends on the cost of the work.

If you have the invoice from the Cowboy firm that did the work that should support your claim.

Providing the work is up to spec there shouldn’t be a problem.

I wouldn’t worry about…just bite the bullet and get them in. At the very least you’ll have the peace of mind of knowing whether the work is up to scratch or not.

Can you tell us what work you had done or what the builder done to your wall if you know ?

Do you live in house,flat,bungalow etc ?

thanks for your help, and i will do what you have said and get the build regs people in to check it, cheers again steptoe...............
cobweb said:
One way or the other you’ll need to have them in; If you come to sell the property the buyer’s solicitor will want to see the certificate.

If you contact your local planning office and explain what’s happened they can come out and inspect the work and issue a retrospective certificate. You will have to pay the fee though…the amount depends on the cost of the work.

If you have the invoice from the Cowboy firm that did the work that should support your claim.

Providing the work is up to spec there shouldn’t be a problem.

I wouldn’t worry about…just bite the bullet and get them in. At the very least you’ll have the peace of mind of knowing whether the work is up to scratch or not.

Sponsored Links
the local (NW Bolton) BR guy told me that there was a 12 month time span on any work - ie after that time they could not demand you fix it, although they will strongly advise if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back