loft conversion and building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I don't need planning permission to convert my loft, but I've been informed I do have to submit plans, and have inspections for building regs.

What would happen *if* I converted the loft into an extra bedroom/bathroom and didn't get building regs, and then came to sell the house ?

My problem is that I have a builder who is very good/reliable, but hasn't been through this process before. He's expanded his business from a small one man company, to tackle bigger jobs. He has converted 3 lofts in my road already, to a very good standard, and everyone seems happy. (None of those have had building inspections or been declared). The cost of this company is 50% cheaper than 3 other loft conversion companies (thanks to London prices), so this plays a major part in my thinking.

If I'm going to ultimately lose money because it's not official, then I guess it's a silly thing to do.

anyone got comments/ideas ?

Martin

Sponsored Links
You don't need planning permission if you're not altering the size of the roof, BUT you will need building regulation.I don't know why the builder doesn't bother with the building regulation as it make no difference to the cost of loft conversion,some are dearer than others and no quotes are the same.Sorry to say this,builders who don't brother with building regulation are cowboys and it will be your responsibility if anything goes wrong,not your builder.As a guess building regulation + drawing depending what area you're from probably cost approx up to £400.I know its your house, but you can't just do what you like!! You could also find your household insurance will be void.I would not buy any property that not been passed by the planning department.Example would you buy a car from a cowboy dealer when its been written off with bent paperwork?.I'm not trying to put you off,£400 is a small price to pay for a peace of mind and knowing you can sell it on.I know people get away with it and have known property conversion have to be put back how it was before selling and could end up in court if endanger lives.
Normally you pay a one off cost to the building inspector & they will come round as many times as you want them to and will help you.Don't be frighten of them ! only cowboys are,that why they don't bother with building regulation.

Example of building regulation from my previous post:

If you're using steel structure and joists which will increase weight on the bearing points? (this is where the weight & calculation come in unless your planning department is happy with structure of your house)
Is the stairscase going to be in the lounge,if so you will need a escape window (say like a Velux fire escape windows) approx 1.100 metre from the fascia board,this is so the fireman can reach the person from the ladder.The idea of this is,if the fire starts in the lounge you cannot go down the staircase.
What sort of ventilation are you having in the room & roof vents?
What are the joists sizes and how far apart?
What are the thickness of the plasterboards etc ?
This is an example what building regs are for health & safely.
Planning drawing depending on your area is normally open 3/5 years and then updated unless work already started.Normally a building notice to your local Council at least 48hr before commencement of work,so the building inspector can monitor your work etc.When I did my room in the roof I didn't need planning permission,but must comply to building regs and I know I can sell it on with the correct paper work details which had been passed by the building inspector.
Hope this helps.

i my opinion you'd be crazy not to get biulding control approval.

the main reason is that when you come to sell the house it will come up in the property searches. and if you don't have a certificate it can create loads of aggro.

the drawings and calculations don't cost much and the building control officer is there to help you if there are any problems.
one thing building control can't do is assure you of good workmanship.
their main concern is whether the building will stand up.

aleks

HI/ i work for local council i srtongly say get building control in on this its for safty reasons , its all too do withb the type of roof you have we have a hip roof so you only have limited space to convert your builder wlill know all this anyway make sure you have window and safty rail fitted if you want i can find out info for you i think after 4 yrs the cannot touch you good luck :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I must say I've not heard of "after 4 yrs they cannot touch you".When does the 4yrs start or end ?!! Also you could find the building insurance voided.It a bit like car insurance,if you modify the car without telling the insurance company you could find the policy automatically terminated.

like planning permissision if after 4yrs of doing project the council find out they cannnot do anything about it, it will be made clear to the next person buying that property that no planning say on a conny was not given, i would go and have a chat with building regs for general info, when i see olly or andy in building control i will get more info, about not getting them in.

I'm in the same boat.

Got PP for my connie and Loft conversion. Built the connie myself so no BC there - but when it came to the loft I'm knackered. All the builders say what about your steel drwgs etc?

I have now heard that Norwich Union offer a policy which cover the bank for house purcahses when no Building Regs have been sought.

Does anyone know this? Obviously I wouldn't want the house to fall down, but I've been quoted an extra £800 if we involve BC.

I am thinkng of getting all the steel & floor work done without BC (I have a fair understanding fo whats right and wrong tecnically and do have morals!) but can't afford to plop an extra £1k if it isn't absolutley needed.

What a nightmare!

PS the NU policy is apparently £54!!

The reason for steel drawing calculation is to know if your footing can takes the extra weight on the 4 point loading bearing walls.If it doesn't you can do a lot of damaged to your property and next door could sue you,that what a called a nightmare !! I understand you want to keep the cost down,why not use bigger floor joists which you only need a drawing plan and a it lot cheaper if you get building permission.I know it more work this way but cheaper in the long run and safer.The building reg is altering all the times,so you never know when you're right or wrong!

e.g. If you have a staircase in the room downstair and the fire starts there,how are you going to get out ? unless you put in a velux fire escape window in your loft.This what building reg are for and for your safety.
Please don't ahead without building reg.

I wish you luck whatever you do.

bossychic said:
like planning permissision if after 4yrs of doing project the council find out they cannnot do anything about it, it will be made clear to the next person buying that property that no planning say on a conny was not given,

My next door neighbour has work done by previous owner without planning and have not been told.What happen then ?

not all projects need planning permission we had too for our conny because of access round our property a inforcement officer can coe round you can be made too apply for permission if any work in progress they may stop you continuing they are nice people and will be of help if in doubt ask ring up council they are really helpful

Just spoke to thes eguys on Bolton, lancs and there's a 12 month rule in place, ie work done longer than 12 months ago doesn't fall under their jurisdiction, and cannot be pulled. They will obvioulsy advise if the work is dangerous/crap etc

What I don't understand is,how do we prove to them the project is over 12 months old?

maybe if its less than 12 months form the planning approval then its in serious question, I have no idea....

I think each regional council has it's own rules / regs on buildings...

I got caught out years ago when selling my flat, I had taken down 2-recess walls and blocked up a cuboard in the hallway to form a new kitchen area. I was the ground floor flat and the 2-flats above each had the same work done.

I got my RSJ's from a reclamation yard and worked to the same specs / drawings as given to me by my neighbour. The job was fine but on selling the flat it was obviously 'picked up' and I had to apply for a retrospective building warrent + the regs had changed since the original drawings were done.

I had a lot of hassle before I got my certificate ... things like pre-drilled bolt holes in the RSJ from its previous 'life' created stress points and because of the position of the holes they would 'elongate'because of the load bearing so I had to get plates welded over them (not allowed to put a new nut & bolt in' ) ... change in the fire protection etc, it seemed endless at the time + the new owners were in the house at this time so the relationship was a bit 'strained' to say the least!!

Never again without involving BC at the beginning

Funny thing is, my other neighbour on the middle floor accross the landing did the same ...sold the house and his work was never picked up !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back