Loft conversion insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an oldish loft conversion and note that the walls (facing into the roof void) are constructed of timber frame and standard plasterboard i.e. no vapour skin. Anyone got ideas on how to bring it up to the latest Building regs spec, I thought of installing thermal foil roll on the roof side of the wall, followed by, rock wool or styrene boards.
Thanks Paul

Sponsored Links
I'm dealing with a similar situation. Current building regs require huge quantities of insulation (equivalent to 250mm of rock wool I think), so are pretty well impossible to achieve in this case without major disruption.

I've installed 100mm of rock wool above the ceiling, and another 100mm on the vertical parts of the walls, stapled in place.

For the sloping part, I'm inserting 25mm celotex (or Kingspan) into the gaps. This maintains an air gap between the insulation and the felt.

I've installed reasonable ventilation into the roof space, and hopefully this will keep things dry, avoiding the need for a vapour barrier.

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back