Loft Conversion 16 yrs old can BC make me take it down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Can anybody give me any advice please:-

I have house with a loft conversion done in 1998 not to building regs, it is structurally sound regarding roof structure, insulation and floor joists etc but there is no door (there are fire doors on all floors below tho) and the risers on the staircase are just a smidgin higher than building regs permit. Building control have no knowledge of this loft conversion YET!!

History:- I had a 3 bed semi which had a loft room put in in 1998 with a bedroom and shower room. A few years later we put a huge double extension on side of house. I have just recently gained planning permission and converted this extension into a separate dwelling and now the house is 2no dwellings.

All building work is done and building control have been in to sign off the building work. As I am converting one house into two, they have been in to inspect the new extension side dwelling and all is signed off but want to see evidence of the insulation in the older side as they say that I need to bring insulation up to current regs on the existing side as it is now classed as new dwelling.

I cant show them the insulation in the loft as it is converted! But I need to get practical completion certificate for the new dwelling.

My question is if they see the loft conversion, can they make me take it down? I have googled S36 notices and it looks as if it is only within the first 12months, but really don't want to take chance without some reassurance from somebody who knows what they are talking about!!!

Any info would be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
There may be insurance relevant fire safety issues that may need dealing with though.

Ok so what exactly could they make me do then?

there are FD30 doors on every room in the house, except the loft which has no door, just open stairwell.

Another consideration is that the house is rented out, does the fact that I the owner am the landlord and it is tenanted, does this throw any more responsibilities onto me?

Also when we put the plans in for both the extension in 2003 nd the conversion more recently I left the loft off the plans, so how would I prove that it has been there since 1998. (I have photos of when it was being converted in which we all look younger and my son is only 18months old lol, and our house on all the google pics over the years obviously show velux windows in, but is this enough?)

I know if I want the conversion signed off I will have to just get on with it, but need to know what they are legally allowed to make me do as I don't want to be bullied into bringing it up to current regs and spending thousands, or taking it out if I don't need to, as it is structurally sound and a very nice room.

I would be very grateful for any help on this matter

Sponsored Links
My question is if they see the loft conversion, can they make me take it down?

Absolutely not - you are well out of the time limit for both Building Regs and Planning.

You may well have additional reponsibilities to your tenants under different legislation, but if the conversion complied with the regs in force at the time it was built, there is still nothing anyone at the council can do.
However, if it doesn't have a fire door, it wouldn't have complied at the time it was built.
You can apply for a regularization certificate if you want, but it is invasive in that you will be required to open up areas for inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back