Further work on already signed-off loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a loft conversion 20 years ago, signed off by building control at the time (as it met the standards at the time).
I am now looking to turn it from a cold roof to a warm roof and as I'm in a conservation area, it requires planning permission and building control sign off.

My question is this: will building control JUST sign off on the work I'm listing i.e. adding insulation between and over rafters?

My concern is that they look at the loft and say they can't sign off on it as the loft no longer meet currents regs for a loft, i.e. minimum heights, fire-doors etc.

I don't want to lose the selling point of habitable rooms but on flip side losing a fortune on heat loss.

Sponsored Links
I think the building regs compliance will be restricted to “alterations to a thermal element” so you will need to comply with b/regs 2022 part L u values for a flat roof (probably 150mm PIR)

I think the building regs compliance will be restricted to “alterations to a thermal element” so you will need to comply with b/regs 2022 part L u values for a flat roof (probably 150mm PIR)
Hi, thanks for responding. I'm hoping it is just that aspect but how can I know 100%?

Basically don't want to avoid the loft conversion status i.e. lose 2 bedrooms from a value perspective

Re insulation thickness, current plan is flexible insulation between the 75mm rafters, 100mm PIR on top (i.e. 175mm in total). Calcs get me to around the 0.15 requirement but think i've got leeway up to 0.35 given age of property

Sponsored Links
They check what's applied for, and don't go mooching around the house looking for random potential infringements.

Had a loft conversion 20 years ago, signed off by building control at the time (as it met the standards at the time).
I am now looking to turn it from a cold roof to a warm roof and as I'm in a conservation area, it requires planning permission and building control sign off.

My question is this: will building control JUST sign off on the work I'm listing i.e. adding insulation between and over rafters?

My concern is that they look at the loft and say they can't sign off on it as the loft no longer meet currents regs for a loft, i.e. minimum heights, fire-doors etc.

I don't want to lose the selling point of habitable rooms but on flip side losing a fortune on heat loss.
I take it this is a detached house (not semi)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back