Unlawful loft ?

With a hip to gable loft conversion or a stonking great rear dormer which has got political and where the planners deem that for instance the materials are not similar enough then you have probably got virtually no chance of getting planning approval so you are stuffed.

That's not the case. You have the oportunity of submitting an app just the same for a loft as for an extension.

Presumably, the competent designer will specify a design and materials in accordance with whatever PD guidance applies.

Sponsored Links
Thankfully I do very few PD jobs, hence the large gaps in my knowledge.

Still waiting for your words of wisdom on my side extension dilemma and this wonderful PD guidance you keep referring too. I'm sure once I've quoted the oracle the planners will fall into line.

Yes everything works out just as it should in woody world, except that it doesn't. I take a pragmatic view on things, I guess I have better judgement than you and nothing but satisfied customers, if you choose to refuse to acknowledge real life there's nothing I can do, there's little point continuing this charade. I await the next sarcastic comment. . ..

Yes everything works out just as it should in woody world, except that it doesn't. I take a pragmatic view on things, I guess I have better judgement than you and nothing but satisfied customers, if you choose to refuse to acknowledge real life there's nothing I can do, there's little point continuing this charade. I await the next sarcastic comment. . ..
How do you know which loft needs an LDC or do you apply for every one?

Sponsored Links
I know that was addressed at freddie but personally I take each case on it's merits. A nice safe rear dormer I probably wouldn't bother but give the client the option if they wanted the extra peace of mind. A hip to gable or an especially large rear dormer with lots of windows overlooking neighbours, I would probably suggest the client apply for one as the risk of neighbours complaining and planners going over it with a fine tooth comb are too great for my risk averse unblemished insurance record. Ultimately it is the client's decision.

Plus I do like to push the boundaries and often we are sailing very close to the permitted development limits so it is nice to have that little bit of reassurance that you aren't going to get a visit from the enforcement officer.

Last edited:
Do pay attention
But do you align your pragmatic view with that of some random solicitor at some random future time who will want an LDC?

You can't have it both ways. First you're saying to get an LDC on lofts to save all the stress and heartache of a sale falling through, and then you're saying you take a pragmatic view so wont be getting an LDC on every single loft conversion.

I'm confused. That's not One Vision. Double Vision more like.

I take a view on each case. That's what being pragmatic is. I keep answering your question but you don't seem to grasp it. You really struggle with simple English sometimes don't you? You can keep on coming back with how confused you are and you will keep getting the same answer.

I'll rephrase the question, m'lud

What happens when your pragmatic view was not to apply for a LDC and then a Solicitor asks for one?

No. But I will say its a waste of time ethos.

You either go with the PD system as it was intended, or you get approval - an LDC or planning permission for every single loft. You don't know what a Solicitor will ask for or what your "pragmatism" will mean to a Solicitor. So by your own beliefs (in the OP's case and likewise), to avoid heartache and distress you must logically require an LDC for every loft - and by extension for every PD job as any work can be questioned by a sales Solicitor further down the line. You just don't know.

You can't wriggle out of that and have failed to clarify the reasons as to why an LDC is required for some lofts and not others. It's got nothing to do with pragmatism.

You can't have a half-way, half-arse system of applying for an LDC for some lofts and not for others. It's all or nothing by you own logic, I'm afraid.

If I get a job in that I think warrants an LDC I'll recommend one. I've not had one yet (despite what you may have presupposed so I can’t tell you specifically what would warrant one per se but I’m not so pig headed as to dismiss ever having to do one.

out if interest how does one know for sure that PD rights have not been removed?

Do planners always know if there is a restrictive covenent?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back