Rsj and retrospective building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm wondering if you can help me please. We had our kitchen knocked through into our orangery 5 years ago. A builder friend did it for us and we naively didn't get building regs. We were assured that it was all done correctly. Now we're moving and have been asked for retrospective building regs. We're hoping the buyers will accept indemnity insurance but will have to get building regs otherwise hopefully. Just looking at the photos we took at the time and we're now panicking that padstones should have been used. Does anyone who has any knowledge of this think these supports look sufficient for building regs? I should add there's been no movement in the walls in the 5 years.

Sponsored Links
IMG_9477.jpg

Sponsored Links
Padstones are not a definite requirement, it all depends on the load and the wall.

Thank you. That makes me feel a bit better. From the pics it looks like it's on a breezeblock wall. It's the tiles/brick that have been used to raise the line that worries me. Is that acceptable practice?

If you apply for regularisation, the council inspector can use the information you give him to either approve the work based on his knowledge of the house construction, or he can also require something to be opened up to look at, or he can ask for full structural design calculations to prove that waht is there is in accordance with the standards in force at the time it was done. Or all three.

No one here can tell you what will happen if you apply. You might get Mr Happy-go-Lucky, or his mate across the desk Mr Fresh-out-of college-and-rules-are-rules.

Hope that a buyer uses a clued up surveyor who will check for any possible distress in the bulding caused by poor work, and if there is none, state that the work seems OK. Then just a policy should do.

Get your builder freind to pay for any costs you incur because of this, if he gave you crap advice.

if you can just get the indemnity in place, for 5 year old works it should be peanuts

Hi I'm wondering if you can help me please. We had our kitchen knocked through into our orangery 5 years ago. A builder friend did it for us and we naively didn't get building regs. We were assured that it was all done correctly. Now we're moving and have been asked for retrospective building regs. We're hoping the buyers will accept indemnity insurance but will have to get building regs otherwise hopefully. Just looking at the photos we took at the time and we're now panicking that padstones should have been used. Does anyone who has any knowledge of this think these supports look sufficient for building regs? I should add there's been no movement in the walls in the 5 years.
Hi there,

I know this was years ago but I’m entering the same issue.

Can I ask what the resolution to this was? Much appreciated!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back