Building Regs Needed?

Thank you to those who have provided constructive and useful advice. To the others, you really didn’t need to get involved.

Sponsored Links
From reading that I would say it meets conservatory description. One wall is solid brick (less than 1 metre from boundary), one wall has window, brick pillar, window and the other double doors, brick pillar, window. The roof is glass and the central heating radiator does have a thermostatic control valve.
I've have previously got agreement from building control that an orangery that is "substantially glazed" is exempt

Lol. Anyway, while I'm here what'sthe rules on growing lemons in an orangery?

Sponsored Links
Susan, why are you asking? You are right that it wasn't exempt from building regulations but that is irrelevant now. The doorway would have had some sort of lintel over and you'd know about it by now if that was an issue. If you're asking because you are selling then my advice is wait until it is raised as an issue (it might not be) and if it is, just purchase an indemnity insurance to cover it. Whatever you do don't contact the council to ask about it. Once you do that you can't then buy an indemnity policy and you'll be stuck with getting it regularised. Which, will mean re-inserting external quality doors and disconnecting from the heating system. You don't want that and I'd bet your buyer won't either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back