Planning / building regs for sheds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all
I intend to build a large shed/workshop in my driveway, and just want to confirm about planning permission/building regs. The floor area will be 14.5m, so I believe it falls under permitted development. It will be against the boundary.

My 1st thought was a lean-to build, using the side of the house as one side, however I believe it needs to comply with building regs if I do this. Not sure what parts of the regs it has to comply with, but im guessing it will end up costing more than simply doing a detached shed.

If I do a detached shed, then I believe building regs do not apply, as long as its less than 15 sq metres. A question, is it still detached if it is put hard up against the side of the house? If not, what is classed as detached? A 1 inch gap between shed and house?

Anyway, just wanted to know if Im in the right ballpark with the planning permission and building regs.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Yes you’re largely there, once you attach it to the house technically it will need to comply with Building Regs, a 1” gap is fine although you need to consider maintenance of the exiting wall if applicable, how the fascia around your shed roof will work, the practicalities of building a shed so close if applicable, check you’re not gonna block any air vents in the wall or breach the dpc etc, Also you don’t want a gap that gets full of leaves etc so make sure you can swipe a cane down there or something to make sure you can clear anything if needs be.

No need for planning unless you’re in a designated area such as a conservation area or you’re garden is less than 29m2, watch your height given its location. Also if you’re really really keen check your property has not had PD rights removed.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

Thanks Freddy.
Good advice about the dpc.

As well as the house wall being inacessible for maintenance, I need to consider the shed side which will be inaccessible as well. That is why my 1st idea was a lean to structure, which would keep the wall accesible.

Looks like I might have to work out a way of the side being made of panels that are easily removable from the inside. :D

Hmm, good luck with that, I’ve investigated that in the past for a client and concluded that it’s difficult to achieve, not impossible but a bit tricky. Went with a block wall on that side in the end.

With a few beefy mates and a car jack or two though, its surprising what size of timber shed can be constructed and then slid into position and vice versa should any maintenance be required!

Sponsored Links
OK well just spoken to my local building control officer, and as far as he is concerned, its just a shed, even if it is attached to the house. So lean to it is! That at least means i still have access to the house wall for maintenance etc.

And 4 months later when I finally started to build the thing... Building control turn up. Looks like someone has moaned about it.

They were very helpful though and when i mentioned that I had spoken to them about it before, they simply said 'OK' and went away again. Got a feeling its not the last im going to hear about it though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back