Building regulations required for new shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am planning a shed for my garden and have a query about building regs.

The shed will be between 15 and 30 square metres in floor area, and will be within 1m of the property boundary

The planning portal website states that the regulations don't apply if its under 15m sq, but doesn't go into specifics when its between 15 and 30m sq. There are other sheds in adjoining properties which are bigger than 15m sq and within 1m of the boundary. Since it doesn't specify that my work would be exempt, does this mean it does need building regs?

I don't want the cost of getting building regs so if I need them I might redesign the shed to be just within 15m sq.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Sponsored Links
building regulations are different to planning permission. Just because it could be PP exempt, does not mean building regulations can be ignored.

If it is between 15 and 30 sq m, and within 1m of a boundary, it should be constructed of substantially non-combustible materials.
Over 1m, it doesn't matter.
Under 15 sq m, you could presumably build it with bales of straw even within 1m.

I suppose given that its definitely going to be within 1m of the boundary and made of timber, my only option without going through building control is to reduce the area to under 15m sq

Sponsored Links
Its only when the area exceeds 30m² you have to go through BC. Between 15 and 30m² it needs to be as tonyAD1066 mentioned.

But frankly just get on with it. If BC write you a snotty letter then so what, they won't ever do any more than that.

Hmm, but what do they mean by 'substantially non combustible materials'? Surely that means you can't use timber?

Technically it does but as mentioned, what they gonna do? Depends if you're the type to lose sleep over such things or not.

If you google "definition of substantially non-combustible", you will see a number of policy guidance notes written by various local authority Building Control departments.

There do seem to be differences of opinion on this, particularly for roofs.

But for walls, most seem to require brick/block/concrete/steel etc, which seems to rule out timber.

But as freddymercury's-oh-so-funny-twin-advises, who's to know? Building Control will only pay a call if a neighbour complains. Most neighbours don't know the regs anyway, so they assume you're not doing anything wrong and don't complain.

Thanks for the advice all. I am friendly with my neighbours but I think I'll make it 15sq m just to avoid any potential problems!

I'm building a shed at the minute which falls between the 15-30m2 catagory. From what the planning portal says is that if it is within 1 meter of your boundary than it has to be built with substantially non combustible materials as stated by someone above. Basically, it mostly has to be built with a material that won't burn i.e brick..block..etc.

You also cannot go higher than 2.5 meters high

Yes yes yes but BC are not gonna go through all of the hassle and expense of taking the OP to court to get an injunction to remove his shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back