SHED BOUNDARY HELP PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm looking to build a wooden 28 sq/M shed in our narrow garden and i'm a little confused with two issues, can you PLEASE help?

1. The shed must be 1M or more from the boundary, is this to the shed outer wall or to anything sticking out such as the roof overhang / guttering?
Our shed wall will be 105cm away from the boundary but the roof/guttering will be 90cm away because it will stick out further than the wall, is this ok?

2. They state maximum of 30 sq/M of floor space, is this internal or external?
I'm sure i read somewhere it means internal floor space and does not include any additional extra space taken up for the shed walls?
In other words you build the shed and if the internal wall to wall sq/M is under 30M all is ok?

This is my first post :)
Thanks
Ron

Sponsored Links
1. 1.05m away will be fine. The small overhang caused by the gutter will not be taken account of.

2.. The 30 sq.m. refers to the internal floor area, not the total footprint.

Hi Tony

Many thanks for the quick reply and information.

I'm tempted to put some plans together and send them in for inspection, just to be 100% sure. Some councils can differ from others, or should i say from planning officer to planning officer.

If i get a letter say all is ok, then its peace of mind :)

Cheers!
Ron

Are you confusing Building Regulations with Planning? - they are two completely separate issues.

Your first post suggests you were checking on Building Regs. matters, and to that extent your proposal would not need a Building Regs application.

But whether or not you need Planning permission is a different matter.
Check on the Planning Portal for 'curtilage buildings' - it's all there.

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony

No, it was planning really.

I'm 100% sure i can go ahead and i may well do so as i've checked all the other considerations in detail.

My confusion was with the distance between the boundary and the shed itself or which part of the shed.

Some forums say its to the wall and then another says its to the guttering.
Nothing on the planning website states 'to the wall' or 'too the roof overhang' or too the guttering' its very unclear.

Do you agree?

Cheers
Ron

The usual interpretation of the rules is that the measurement is to the wall, not the overhanging eaves/fascia.

If the overhang was deep enough to form, say, a canopy, then that would be a different matter, but with a normal eaves, you would be OK.

Hi Tony

I really appreciate the conversation and help.

Your absolutely right, also its common sense i guess that its to the wall.

Now one last cheeky questions as you've been so helpful :)

I'd like to add a canopy to one side, the side that is not close to the side boundary's. Our garden is long 100M but only 6.5M wide so the idea is to have the guttering running down the longest sides of the shed and then the canopy at the front over hanging by 1M. I'm guessing this will not cause a problem as like you say the sq/M is internal and does not relate to the outsides.

The side walls of the shed will be 105cm from the side boundary's.
The front is say 40M from the back of the house and the rear is about 52M from the bottom fence.
Roof is under 2.5M in height and construction is 100% wood.

Internal dimensions : 4M x 7M

So from this a front 1M canopy should be ok?

Thanks again for your help.
Ron

The area covered by the canopy would not be counted as part of the floor area.

Many thanks Tony :D

All is looking good.
The worse part is the ground works but hopefully plain sailing afterwards.

Have a great evening.
Cheers!
Ron

i could be wrong
but usually the only time the gutter and roof overhang may be referenced to is they must not physically be outside the property boundary :?: :?:

Hi Big_All

Pleased to say its well inside the Boundary.

The wall of the shed is 105cm away and the gutter will be approx 90cm away.

Going to make sure i'm over the 1M mark for the wall and well under 2.5M for the height.

Thanks for your input :)
Ron

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back