Shed size limits? what is the max?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,
Building the biggest shed/workshop I can before building regs/planning kick in. Can I just check how critical things are?

Shed is 7.3x4m with a 4m high pitched roof. It's 2m away from boundaries and takes up about 10% or less of my total garden. In addition it is about 40M away from the house in the back garden. According to what I have read I DONT need EITHER planning or BUILDING REGS for this? is this correct?

Now if I add a front porch with deck boards (fully open but the roof overhangs) of 1.3 m am I still ok? ie. roof 7.3 x 5.3 but enclosed building inside is less than 30msq.

Adding cladding might also take me just over 30m sq - how critical are these things? is it external or internal?

Any advice gratefully received.....

Moppit

Sponsored Links
I'd agree that your current plan doesn't need planning or regs for the building. You'll still need regs for electrical work and drains if you are going that way.

I'd have thought the porch would count as car ports are specifically listed. Not sure about where the 30m2 extends to, though. Probably down to how the local council interpret the rules and how strict they are rather than a black and white answer.

its the total added to the origional footprint or after 1947 as in extensions garages sheds decking all need to be taken off your allowance

Point noted on the electrical work. Drains not needed unless the missus decides she wants a jacuzzi down there. Probably not with two teenage lads on the xbox in the background.

A bit worried my porch might take take me over the limit though? How can I check?

By accident I double posted this - hope threads can be joined. Other poster says its internal only? In which case I guess it's down to rather vague interpretation. My neighbour has a larger shed which has been up for around 5 years so I'm guessing I might get away with it.

Sponsored Links
moppit; you wrote in the other post that you still weren't sure if 'floor area' was internal or external. Forget Wiki; in Building Regs terms, it means purely the measurements taken internally (ie don't count the thickness of the walls). There are other provisions in the regs in which the floor area is specifically internal. Just get on with it and stop fretting!.

PS. FMT; just noticed the wording of your last post. Wasn't copying, honest! :oops:

My understanding (only just understanding this myself) is that you need to know the floor area of your house (as it was in 1940whatever) and any other buildings, to ensure your within the 50% rule.

If the porch takes you over it, I would ensure its built in a way that if someone gets hyper arsey it can be removed with minimal fuss.

Unless, obviously, you just say f-to-the-world and build something totally non-complient in the hope nobody will notice or care, or that you can get retrospective planning on it!

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back