Remove external doors and windows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having an orangery added to the external wall of my house. I would like to have the external doors and windows removed to have an open plan effect. The orangery with a lantern roof will have acoustic glass sliding doors. Will I need building regs? The house was built in 2019.

Sponsored Links
Could I have the orangery built and passed and then apply for building regs to have the windows and doors removed?

If you do, the orangery will need to be modified to meet standards
It would be cheaper to have it built to spec, or have the doors /windows modified or replaced to be unobtrusive when open to give the effect, but comply with regs.

Sponsored Links
Could I have the orangery built and passed and then apply for building regs to have the windows and doors removed?
That would depend on whether the orangery is exempt or not, If it can be classed as a conservatory by your LA then you could do that. However when you remove the doors you will then need to apply for a change of use, this will then mean you need to prove or alter the building to show compliance of certain regs
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/regulation/6/made

Misread your second post if you are applying and having it passed then the doors won't make any difference, unless you meant you are intending to build it as an exempt building without regs then my last reply applies.

you could but it wouldnt be wise -you are best to get a SAPS test done covering the house and orangery -which will specify the insulation requirements of the orangery.

since a SAPS test is only about £300 its best to get it done to make sure you can be compliant without retrospective upgrades.

I do believe the plans for the orangery will produce a strong extension to our home. Could it be that the specs of the orangery will be sufficient after building regs and the doors removed?

I do believe the plans for the orangery will produce a strong extension to our home. Could it be that the specs of the orangery will be sufficient after building regs and the doors removed?
not necessarily, an orangery is classed as an extension with excess glazing and the building regs elemental values wont be accepted, that needs a SAPS test if the orangery is to be compliant, local authorities wont let such a project start until a SAPS test has been done.

If your house is quite old and has poor thermal qualities, such as single glazing, little loft insulation etc etc, its quite easy to get a pass.

for a project of the value of an orangery, its not worth avoiding a SAPS test.

I am a little confused, I thought I could have the orangery built and then have the external doors and windows removed at a later date

You can do what you like. The fact is it’ll still require BR’s as it’s an extension, not a conservatory. Conservatories are exempt if they meet certain criteria, one of those being retaining the original external quality doors. Once those doors are removed either during or post building works, the conservatory would be notifiable.

You can do what you like while you live there. Just remember to put the doors back when you sell up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back