Orangery with flat rooflight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Im just after a bit of design help and ideas.

I currently have a 5m by 6m garage, + a 3.5m by 6m workshop loosely attached to each other at the bottom of my garden. (Loosely as the roofs were together, but have since fallen away!). The workshop shares one wall with the garage. there is a strip of approx 1m wide running along the 4m and 3m sides and the garden boundary.

I'm thinking of ideas for rebuilding, ideally i still want to put a garage for my car, and my wife wants an area for entertaining guests. Ideally i want somewhere to also plant veg in a covered area (Think greenhouse in a solid structure).

The buildings will be within 1m of the boundary - i only have one neighbour, the back and other side of the garden is a shared access alley way. Behind the alley at the back is a woodland, and to the right of the alley is another neighbour.

Im thinking of making the garage the full width of 7m of garden, and 3.5 or 4m wide - conformabley get the car in and open the doors to get in/out.

The question is what to do in the entertaining area. It needs to be covered in glass to allow entertaining in slightly wet weather, ideally closed off to allow for planting. So im thinking an Orangery? But can this be built away from the house - attached to the garage? Also i'd prefer to have full glass top, with brick/block walls to the side. The front will be opening doors (patio/bifold or similar).

Is it even possible to have an orangery separate to the house? with three brick walls, glass roof and glass front? if not is this classed as anything else?- foot print for this would be approx 7mx3m if possible.

And all the orangery images i can see online have a roof lantern. Do i need to have one or can i just do flat glass roof all the way?

Sponsored Links
You can build an orangery in the garden.

I wouldnt advise a full glass roof -you will just create a heat trap conservatory. Build a flat roof with a lantern in it -there are some good prices to be had in upvc or aly.

Even a small lantern will flood light into a room.

Flat glass lanterns are trendy but they get dirty -self cleaning glass needs 10 degrees minimum to wash dirt off.

With bifolds across the front you need to think about lateral stability, you dont it goibg floppy in the wind

Hi Notch7, thanks for the response,

good to hear i can do the orangery in the garden - any issues you are aware of with it being connected (Shared wall) with the car garage at the back? I'm fairly sure the original garden space will still be under 50% even with the 6m extension - just to confirm this also includes the front garden?

I've got two flat glass roof lights on my extension, i know what you mean about the dirt, but need to look at heights and make sure there is no issue being close to boundary...
Not going full glass has an advantage of getting more solar panels on the roof, but my main concern is making sure i don't need planning or something that the planners will not have an easy objection to just because they can... my council is known to be funny like that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back