Garden Wall height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate this may have been done to death - nearly- but I just wanted to check before I go ahead..

I have a garden fence at present which is no longer standing due to Wind.
In place of the fence I will be replacing it with a wall.

Now the side where the wall will be going is the boundary between my property and a PRIVATE alley way. Its not public, highway, neighbour etc.

The ground at the front of the house is approx 1m + higher then the ground at the back.
The ground in the alley way is approx 30-50cm lower then in my garden.

So:
1) is it still only 2m high that I can have the wall?
2) where is the 2m from? inside(which is probably built up), outside?
and the smaller gap between the ground and wall or the highest point?

Sponsored Links
In terms of planning regulations it's 2m and measured from the higher adjacent ground level for each individual section

But if there is a 1m difference in height, then building a wall higher than 2m needs a bit of thought, if you don't want it to go the same way as the fence

Thanks woody,

To clarify, the garden slopes down from front to rear by approx 1 meter over approx 30m length.
I'm looking to have each 3m section stepped to keep it approx 2m following the ground, - the intention will be in the future to have both sides roughly the same by reducing the height in the garden side to the "natural" ground level which I take as the alley (as i had to do for a PD 6m extension).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back