1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Max height of garden fencing

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by u587162, 26 Feb 2021.

1. u587162

u587162

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've read various web sites on this but getting differing views.

Max height of rear garden fencing I understand to be 2m. Some web sites state that this should include any trellis on top. What about gravel boards, does the 2m include gravel board, fence panel and trellis in that overall height?

And for the front of the house where the fence faces a road, I understand the max height allowed is 1m. What about when it runs down the boundary line between two houses at the front, is it still 2m or 1m?

Thx.

2. Nakajo

Nakajo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, a 6m gravel board followed by 2m fencing on top is fine.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. DevilDamo

DevilDamo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. kingandy2nd

kingandy2nd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry to jump on someone else’s thread, but I have a corner plot and on the side of the property there’s a small wall adjacent to the path which is probably 300mm high.

A further 5m from the path is a 1.8m high fence between the front (side) garden and the rear garden.

Im thinking of moving the 1.8m fence closer to the path by about 3m, therefore making the rear garden larger and the front (side) garden smaller.

I can’t find anything that indicates I’d need planning as long as the replaced fence is below 2m.

Does anyone know of any other rules I’d be breaching if I did this. This 1.8m fence is not marked on the deeds.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. jeds

jeds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Fences and gates need planning permission but, provided your permitted development rights are intact, permission is usually given by permitted development subject to certain restrictions;
    Gates and fences adjacent to a highway are limited to 1m high - all others 2m high.

• Thanks Thanks x 1