Moving garden fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I have a massive front garden and a smaller side garden separated by a 2m high fence. What I want to do to move the current fence closer to my front boundary so the side garden gets bigger. Like this:

The fence will be kept at least 2m away from the pavement so I should be allowed to keep 2m high. But will this cause any problems with the local planning department?

Heres a view so you can see the surrounding areas. My house is the red area.

Sponsored Links
What makes you worry that your fence is not permitted development?

You could apply for a certificate of lawful development, and when it arrives, start whacking posts in.. Actually.. why not put up (or replace if existing) a 1m fence next to the footpath, and then plant a hedge behind it and let it grow to 2 metres- you'll make more of your garden area and at 2 metres it's not a "high hedge" that someone can claim is antisocial

I've been trying to get some firm guidance regarding the 'highway adjacent' distance where it becomes permissible to move from a 1m high to a 2m high fence without needing planning.

To date I'm unable to find a definitive answer, it seems to be a the discression on your local authority (or even just the inspector you get). Distances quoted tend to be between 2 and 4m from the boundary of the property.

As stated though, there's nothing to stop a natural screen fom being planted.

from your drawing you appear to be covered more than 50% off the total garden area if so it will need planning

Sponsored Links
What makes you worry that your fence is not permitted development?

You could apply for a certificate of lawful development, and when it arrives, start whacking posts in.. Actually.. why not put up (or replace if existing) a 1m fence next to the footpath, and then plant a hedge behind it and let it grow to 2 meters- you'll make more of your garden area and at 2 meters it's not a "high hedge" that someone can claim is antisocial
Its the fact that the fence is moving closer to the highway that has me asking questions. We've already got a low hedge at the front of the property that's a pain to maintain, a 6ft one would drive us insane :p

I've been trying to get some firm guidance regarding the 'highway adjacent' distance where it becomes permissible to move from a 1m high to a 2m high fence without needing planning.

To date I'm unable to find a definitive answer, it seems to be a the discression on your local authority (or even just the inspector you get). Distances quoted tend to be between 2 and 4m from the boundary of the property.

As stated though, there's nothing to stop a natural screen fom being planted.

This is one of my biggest worries about it. I can't seem to find a deffinate answer either and my local planning department haven't been too helpful so far.

from your drawing you appear to be covered more than 50% off the total garden area if so it will need planning
At the moment the decking etc is just a rough plan and isn't down so we can worry about that problem later. However the whole back, side garden and driveway areas are already 95% covered as is.

Just send a letter to your local authority with a proposed plan and see what the response you get back is.

The may well ask you to submit a formal application, but at least if you do that then you'll know one way or the other any wont have any potential issues with the fence height in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back