Fence height on 2 different level gardens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm trying to find some advice regarding fence height on a change I want to make on our fences in the back garden. I've tried to explain this as best as possible via image... hope that helps...

Basically, the image is side on, and the side of our fence is our multiple neighbors rear gardens.

We are going to put basically a new fence (one I look after and maintain solely) in front of these. I've seen the rules in terms of 2M height, which on my RHS is fine, its already at 2m, but to my left is a little bit smaller.

Does the 2M apply from my grass level, or the neighbors (which is below my ground level)?

I'm only concerned there will be an issue with a bit of fence sticking above the existing fence and post, even though its on the 2M limit? Hope you can help. Thanks

fence_change.png

Sponsored Links
Highest ground level at a point immediately adjacent to the fence, and that includes if the ground is sloping.

Lets say hypothetically i raised the ground a few feet (im not by the way) does the same logic apply?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input. From the point of view of the neighbour who when they look at their fence will see my fence slightly raised, can they do anything to contest it, or are the laws the laws?

Ownership of the fence and the responsibility to maintain the boundary may be factors separate to planning regulations

quick further question, is the 2 meters inclusive of a gravel board (wooden or concrete) or is 2m the total height for whatever you do? I was planning on having a wooden board, then the fence on top, so may need to restrict the fence height if that is the case?

Thanks

What about a row of Caryatids? Surely they'd be exempt from the 2m rule?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back