Fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are thinking of buying a house on a Cul de Sac of an estate. It is on a corner plot and the original fence for the rear garden runs from one corner of the house to the detached garage. There is a considerable amount of garden unfenced from this fence to the road. AFAIK we should be able dear Permitted Development to move this fence closer to the road as long as we keep it under 2m high and more than a meter from the road/pavement. We would actually keep the fence ap prix 2-3m from the road and plant shrubs on our land at the fence. This would still considerably enlarge the garden and increase privacy. Would this be allowable under PD? It would seem other houses on the road have fences exactly 1m from the road edge!

Sponsored Links
Surely the question should be are you permitted to fence in land which would appear not to be yours?

According to the planning map the land belongs to the proposed house. I also asked the local planning office and they replied it would be unlikely to grant permission as it would "affect the open nature of the area". Seems a bit harsh but as we haven't bought the place I guess we'll just walk away! I'm not sure how the council can stop you putting a 2m fence up 3m from their road on your own land unles they can claim some road safety line of sight issue but hey-Ho!

I'm not sure how the council can stop you putting a 2m fence up 3m from their road on your own land

Probably in the same way they can stop you putting a 301mm high deck on the patio

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back