Historic Fence - Possible Planning Problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Out back garden fence is starting to rot and needs a full repair.

It's a corner plot, so the fence runs down the side road. It is 2m tall and right next to the pavement. It has been like this since we bought the property. Not commented on at all during the buying process by surveyor, convayencer... etc.

Speaking with neighbors recently and confirmed on street view, the fence used to be about 1.5m back from the pavement and was moved right up to the property line some time between 2009 and 2011.

I don't know if PP was sought and as far as I'm aware, no complaints have been issued. If we replace it now, like for like, what are:

1) The chance of the council telling us to move it back
2) The legal capability they would have to enforce it as it has been unchallenged for 4.5 years at least.

Cheers,
Fubar

Sponsored Links
As it is a corner plot it might be that the fence obscures a driver's view. Corner plots can have conditions imposed in the original planning consent about fences to reduce traffic hazards.

While it is un-likely that the council would take any notice or action it is not impossible that the work to replace it is noticed and a jobs-worth checks it out.

It's the back garden fence (albeit on the side). I cannot see how it can be anywhere near the corner ?!?!

Sponsored Links
If by "full repair" you mean you are taking it down and replacing it, the council would be entitled to regard it as a completely new fence, as if no fence had stood there. That being so, the new fence would only be permitted development at 1 metre high. That's not to say the council would do anything, but they could.

Cheers
Richard

Good thinking on the bit by bit approach. As it'll be a longish project to do (lot of soil to move) and I value privacy, I can only do it bit by bit... Just, in a row, over a number of evenings / weekends :)

Good thinking on the bit by bit approach. As it'll be a longish project to do (lot of soil to move) and I value privacy, I can only do it bit by bit... Just, in a row, over a number of evenings / weekends :)
I think months, would be better to avoid any possible action.
For peace of mind you could ask your conveyancing solicitor.

Problem with asking a 3rd party for help is that if they say 'no' you can't plead ignorance :p

The people behind us did the same thing and no-one's kicked up a stink since it went in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back